Aloha!

HRain2020

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there! Wanted to say hi. I'm a def n3wb...one that knows just enough to be dangerous. My neighbors house was broken into last night, so am looking to upgrade my system. Currently I have a LaView LV-KNT982A42W4 4 MP zoom HD 8 Channel NVR PoE IP Security System, with 2pcs 4 MP (2688 x 1520) and 2pcs 2 MP (1920 x 1080) Bullet Camera, and a 1000FT Cat6 Bulk Bare Copper Ethernet Network Cable UTP, Solid, Riser Rated (CMR), 500MHz, 23AWG, Black.

Step 1 is to get this thing connected to the internet. :)
Step 2 is to add more cameras. I'd like to add 2-3 more outside and 1 inside the garage.

Would appreciate any guidance from the community.

Cheers,
HRain

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:

Welcome to the land of video surveillance lunatics. There's lots of great, very knowledgeable, people here that share their knowledge very freely.

I'd suggest starting out looking in the Wiki, in the blue bar at the top of the page, and reading the material in there on a computer, not a phone or tablet.

When you connect to the Internet do it only by using a VPN, built into many routers. The VPN services advertised to hide your browsing are for "incoming" traffic while the VPN required here is, basically, a firewall.

Above all, build a test rig of some sort. A bucket full of stones with a 2x4-8 sticking up is cheap and easy to assemble. Test each location carefully. Have someone play "bad guy" with a hoodies and/or a baseball cap and see f you can identify them, really identify them, from the video under both day and night conditions. Generally speaking, cameras mounted higher than 7.5 feet will not provide good identification unless you can identify from male pattern baldness :)

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
:welcome:
Lots of good info here, and good guys to help you.

Stick around, see if you can figure out where we hide the good stuff. :D
Really, we will help you find what good stuff you need. And we are good at spending
your money by showing you all sorts of goodies that you "got to have" once you see them.

HRain2020

n3wb
Reaction score
What does your neighbor have for security? Motion sensor light?
He has a motion sensor light. Full-ish story. So they are moving and had a dumpster and moving Pod iin front of the garage. So he leaves the side gate unlocked as they have a big dog. The crooks opened the side gate around 3am, broke in via the side garage door with a crowbar and just pryed it open. The door swings outwards. Once they were in, they had plenty of time to steal his tools, hunting backpacks, saws, etc. Then icing on the cake, a few hours later (6am) they came back and stole his Ford F150 truck. Guess they found a spare key in the hunting backpack. Funny thing is that the police found the truck later that same night. Sadly for him, they called the tow company first instead of letting him come out to drive it away, so my neighbor got hit with a $450 impound charge.

So he's put a beefier door lock strike plate, door reinforcer, and an additional latch on the inside to keep the door from opening outward. Hopefully that makes it just that much harder for the crooks.

And thank you all for the warm welcome. Does anyone know how to tell if my LaView NVR I have is a Hikvision, Dahua, or other OEM? So I can figure out what cameras are compatible with them?

iwanttosee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to tell if my LaView NVR I have is a Hikvision, Dahua, or other OEM? So I can figure out what cameras are compatible with them?
As long as your camera supports onvif, you should be able to add to your NVR. Though, you might need to set the NVR to always record instead of record on motion for the ONVIF cameras.

He has a motion sensor light. Full-ish story. So they are moving and had a dumpster and moving Pod iin front of the garage. So he leaves the side gate unlocked as they have a big dog. The crooks opened the side gate around 3am, broke in via the side garage door with a crowbar and just pryed it open. The door swings outwards. Once they were in, they had plenty of time to steal his tools, hunting backpacks, saws, etc. Then icing on the cake, a few hours later (6am) they came back and stole his Ford F150 truck. Guess they found a spare key in the hunting backpack.
That sucks.

Last edited: