Amazon Prime price raised to $119 annually

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Today Amazon announced the annual membership will now cost $99 a year, up from $79. A student membership will cost $49 annually. $40 jump from previous cost! :sad:

MoridinTX

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that. Bummer their raising the price, but that is still worth it to me. I buy enouigh online that I more than recoupe that price in the free Prime shipping. Just hope it does not go up much more than that.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that. Bummer their raising the price, but that is still worth it to me. I buy enouigh online that I more than recoupe that price in the free Prime shipping. Just hope it does not go up much more than that.
I agree. Stinks that they raised the price but for me personally it is worth it. I do 90% of my online shopping on Amazon and the items I purchase are almost always prime. My wife also has a kindle that she reads on. I've never actually streamed a video though.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I feel like this price increase is more about funding their silly add-on features for prime that nobody signed up for.

Like paying for content licensing for their instant video service. I've tried it a few times, and it works ok for low resolution stuff. But every time I try to stream something in HD, it freezes up, switches to SD a lot, and is generally just a miserable pain. Really leaves a bad taste, so to speak, when you pay to rent a movie in HD only to have to watch half of it in 640x360 or something close to it.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I recently signed up for the student one, 6 months free and then $40 a year, I think they limit it to 5 years. But all you need is a student email address, I know at my college the membership fee was like $15, so I am sure there is a way to scam a student email account to forever have cheap prime. I LOVE amazon prime so I'd pay the $120 if I had to, I try to buy stuff from Amazon before anywhere else and use prime anytime I can. Waiting for nelly to throw some more 2032's up with prime shipping so I can get some 2 day.