Amcrest IP4M-1055E Night Profile High Bit Rates

DrPain

n3wb
Reaction score
Apologies if this issue has been addressed before. I searched around but didn’t find anything specific.

I’m using 8 Amcrest IP4M-1055E dome cameras with a PC based NVR solution. The IPCams are using H.264H encoding at 4MP resolution with 15FPS VBR frame rate. Quality is set to 4, with the streamLimit configured for 10240Kb/s and iFrame at 30.

During day/light profile usage, the cameras seem to perform well and average ~600kB/s bitrates, depending on complexity and movement of the target areas. However, during night/dark profile usage, the cameras spike up and pin to bitrates ~1,400kB/s. This happens even on perfectly still target areas that are not very complex. Additionally, the night/dark profile video looks grainy, which may be the culprit.

The issue is that when all the cameras are in night/dark profile mode, the total bitrate increases dramatically and strains the NVR processing capacity. Average CPU (and/or GPU) utilization also doubles, from ~45% to ~90% on average. SNMP data shows a very predictable pattern of same.

I believe the issue is with the IPCams and not the NVR, as I can see the same bitrate performance fluctuation when testing with VLC independent of the NVR.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Is there a particular set of night/dark profile configuration (picture, exposure, back light correction, white balance, etc.) that might help? Maybe the cameras themselves aren’t great?

I’m trying to avoid the trial-and-error approach, as the installation is in a different timezone and the problem is of course only evident at night.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.