Amcrest IP4M-1083EW-AI issues

margio

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

Not too sure if this is the correct place to ask and request for help (if not please let me know)

I purchased a IP4M-1083EW-AI few weeks ago and had it deployed 2 days ago. Connected our Amcrest PTZ camera to our router (Mikrotik Rb951ui-2hnd ) and it works for moments (hours only).

After a time, the camera has no communication with the router (no ping response at its static IP assigned – full timeout) The camera is using a PoE+ injector (BV-Tech Gigabit Power Over Ethernet PoE+ Injector). So we are having hard time with this camera and its brand tech support over the phone as it is limited (only for basics). The only way to fix this issue is to go on site (50 miles) and have a hard reboot (unplug PoE and re-plug it to the power outlet).

I would really appreciate and helps.. Thank you all

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cameras connected to Wifi routers (whether wifi or not) are problematic for surveillance cameras because they are always streaming and passing data. And the data demands go up with motion and then you lose signal. A lost packet and it has to resend. It can bring the whole network down if trying to send cameras through a wifi router. At the very least it can slow down your system.

Unlike Netflix and other streaming services that buffer a movie, these cameras do not buffer up part of the video, so drop outs are frequent. You would be amazed how much streaming services buffer - don't believe me, start watching something and unplug your router and watch how much longer you can watch NetFlix before it freezes - mine goes 45 seconds. Now do the same with a camera connected to a router and it is fairly instantaneous (within the latency of the stream itself)...

The same issue applies even with the hard-wired cameras trying to send all this non-buffer video stream through a router. Most consumer grade wifi routers are not designed to pass the constant video stream data of cameras, and since they do not buffer, you get these issues. The consumer routers are just not designed for this kind of traffic, even a GB speed router.

So the more cameras you add, the bigger the potential for issues.