Analog box camera. Interference?

toreupfeet

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm helping a friend with some camera issues that have arisen at his property. He has a Bolide DVR that displays feeds from various analog cameras, most of which are (or are similar to) this 5MP from DIgital Watchdog. Two cameras on the property are not putting out a crisp image. The cameras are Toshiba IK-6420 box cameras. The cameras are mounted about 60 feet from the DVR.

I disconnected one of the box cameras and temporarily connected a 5MP Digital Watchdog in its place, and that image was clear. I also brought the Toshiba box camera into the recording room and connected it to the DVR on a short cable. Clear picture. So, when the cable is 60 feet from the DVR the Toshiba doesn't work but the Digital Watchdog does work. And the Toshiba does work when it is right next to the DVR.

Is there anything I can do to try to make the Toshiba work at 60 feet? I suspect there is some sort of interference in the video feed cable. Maybe there is a filter I can put on the cable, or a camera setting I can tweak?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two cameras on the property are not putting out a crisp image. The cameras are Toshiba IK-6420 box cameras
It's a pretty old camera. Very low quality by today's standards, best option is to replace those cameras. Those Toshibas have a resolution of 540TVL (768x494) and are analog.
You could try a different cable or re-terminating the cable but it's not worth the time and trouble. Even replacing the cable with ethernet and installing IP cam replacements sounds like it would be pretty easy.

toreupfeet

n3wb
Reaction score
Agreed that an IP cam system would be ideal. He recently invested in the DVR and he has about a dozen analog cameras with cabling passing through various conduits and junctions. I'm just going to put some band-aids on the wounds, but you make a great point: a 5MP band-aid is much better than another one of those Toshibas.

I'm just curious though. It is some sort of interference then, correct? What would the remedy have been back in the olden days, when this tech was king?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Agreed that an IP cam system would be ideal. He recently invested in the DVR and he has about a dozen analog cameras with cabling passing through various conduits and junctions. I'm just going to put some band-aids on the wounds, but you make a great point: a 5MP band-aid is much better than another one of those Toshibas.

I'm just curious though. It is some sort of interference then, correct? What would the remedy have been back in the olden days, when this tech was king?
Lot of different types of “interference.”
Impressive they are still operational.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It just isn't worth it to dick around with these. Cams like this were always underwhelming, but were an improvement over old VHS based systems.
It could be interference, attenuation, or just parts in 15 year old cameras failing. The time and tools required to actually diagnose it wouldn't be worth it for anyone.