Another reason to block Windows Update on your BI server

Reaction score
Tonight, I was unable to bring up UI3 from within my LAN. I was also not able to connect the BI app on my iPhone to the BI server, either from LAN or WAN. I run STUNNEL as a Windows service, and it was running. But it was definitely NOT passing traffic as it has for months with no problem. I stopped the service, and started the desktop GUI for STUNNEL. Up pops Windows Advanced Firewall, asking if I should allow STUNNEL to access the network.

WTAF? It's been fine for months and months, and suddenly it's NOT?
After re-enabling it, things are working again.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tonight, I was unable to bring up UI3 from within my LAN. I was also not able to connect the BI app on my iPhone to the BI server, either from LAN or WAN. I run STUNNEL as a Windows service, and it was running. But it was definitely NOT passing traffic as it has for months with no problem. I stopped the service, and started the desktop GUI for STUNNEL. Up pops Windows Advanced Firewall, asking if I should allow STUNNEL to access the network.

WTAF? It's been fine for months and months, and suddenly it's NOT?
After re-enabling it, things are working again.
Could the Windows update have changed your connection type from Private to Public?
I've seen a WinUp do that to 3 client PC's in the last 6 months and they lost their previously-working LAN connection such as PC to router and PC to a database server.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I had loads of trouble with WIndows Firewall at one time (not with BI) turning off permissions for apps etc.

I see little to no use for MS including Windows firewall these days. Almost every router / modem router has a hardware firewall built in. How many firewalls do you need expecially as ways to bypass a Windows based one are probably well known to hackers.