Another wild storm last night

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
After 4 months of Dry, dry, dry, Mother Nature has been playing catch up in Floriduh this week

My old 'hood last night
Couple of things to note:
1- Lightning hits power pole left of camera at 22:14:07
2- Notice wind and driving rain going right to left (north) at beginning, and within seconds after lightning hit, changes 180 degrees going left to right (south)
3- 2nd clip shows sparks and fire from downed wire when they turn power back on at around 3:45am

Looks like the grounding rods/support cables? ? took the hit and may have been vaproized, new ones installed

HOA Ent VPN_IP PTZ Camera_main_20230428102617_@7.jpg HOA Ent VPN_IP PTZ Camera_main_20230428102901_@7.jpg HOA Ent VPN_IP PTZ Camera_main_20230428125125_@7.jpg HOA Ent VPN_IP PTZ Camera_main_20230428132220_@7.jpg HOA Ent VPN_IP PTZ Camera_main_20230428132309_@7.jpg HOA Ent VPN_IP PTZ Camera_main_20230428132337_@7.jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) And that wind was indeed fierce: look at the stop sign at the start and then again near the end and you can see how much it actually bent the pole/unistrut that it is mounted to!

2) And sadly none of the power co. workers that I see are wearing anything reflective at 3 AM as they work in the roadway, likely a violation of company policy and/or OSHA. The work they do is dangerous enough without tempting a motorist to not see them as they are distracted by the goings-on (fire, downed lines, vehicles with flashing lights, etc.). :confused:

A not so surprising statistic I read some time ago is that more first responders, utility workers and power co. workers are injured at night even though they are in the roadway during the day almost twice as much as they are at night.

After working in the roadway for over 31 years, much of that with utility and power companies, I know of what I speak.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
1) And that wind was indeed fierce: look at the stop sign at the start and then again near the end and you can see how much it actually bent the pole/unistrut that it is mounted to!

2) And sadly none of the power co. workers that I see are wearing anything reflective at 3 AM as they work in the roadway, likely a violation of company policy and/or OSHA. The work they do is dangerous enough without tempting a motorist to not see them as they are distracted by the goings-on (fire, downed lines, vehicles with flashing lights, etc.). :confused:

A not so surprising statistic I read some time ago is that more first responders, utility workers and power co. workers are injured at night even though they are in the roadway during the day almost twice as much as they are at night.

After working in the roadway for over 31 years, much of that with utility and power companies, I know of what I speak.
Workers like this have my total respect. It's naturally dangerous work often at heights. But, yeah, some vests would be nice to see.