Any way to make a covert camera weather proof?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Any way to make this covert camera weather proof?

I would like to know if there is a way to make the ACTI Q111 lens part only, weatherproof. Ultimately, I would like to be able to integrate this into the light above my front door. Product Link below

http://www.acti.com/product/Q111

Last edited by a moderator:

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Re: Any way to make this covert camera weather proof?

OK, no replies so I will add some more info.

My idea was to do something like this as a weather shield. Use the third top light ( picture below) by removing the Edison bulb fixture and replace it with the lens part of the Q111 fisheye ( keeping the box part of the camera indoors. The lens and the bulb fixure are roughly the same size and this would allow me to direct the camera along with provide sufficient light. I'm not really sure how weather resistant the lens part is though. Any insight?

cam light.jpgQ111_Image_450_x_450_png_20150526.png

Pardigital

n3wb
Reaction score
I was waiting/watching this thread for a response because I'm in a similar situation. Good idea you have there.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From the specs it seems it can handle the temp change.
Operating TemperatureX
-30°C ~ 60°C
(-22°F ~ 140°F)
Which was a concern for my area.

Hopefully someone chimes in with more info.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ok, so I was looking at the AXIS covert camera and it states:

AXIS P1224-E is a tiny HDTV 720p camera with a wide 145° horizontal field of view, ideal for unobtrusive, overviewsurveillance in places such as banks, ATMs, stores, architectural buildings and hotels. It comprises two parts: an IP66-rated sensor unit (lens and image sensor), which can be installed indoors/outdoors and in limited spaces, such as indoorways, ceilings, walls and elevators; and a main unit, which can be placed up to 8 m (26 ft.) away in an indoor area.The main unit has a memory card slot and supports H.264, Motion JPEG, video motion detection, tampering alarm, I/Ofor external devices and Power over Ethernet.

http://www.axis.com/files/datasheet/ds_p1224e_1496755_en_1508.pdf

It doesn't appear to be any different construction wise compared to the ACTI units but I do not see IP66 rating anywhere. :/

Fearwind

n3wb
Reaction score
Besides the IP-rating, you also need to consider that indoor camera sensors have a lower rated maximum number of LUX. meaning long term exposure to (direct)sunlight might damage the sensor.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Besides the IP-rating, you also need to consider that indoor camera sensors have a lower rated maximum number of LUX. meaning long term exposure to (direct)sunlight might damage the sensor.
Hmm, I wasn't aware of this. Def something to consider.