Anybody else have trouble with pixelated video with the BI webserver?

David Messenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've been using BI for several years (started off with version 2 or 3) and have been very happy with it. I'm now running the 64 bit version 5.2.9.20 of Blue Iris. I just received an update to my Windows 10 Pro machine a few weeks ago and ever since the update, I noticed the web server video has been pretty degraded so that it is now pixelated. I'm currently running 6 cameras on a Dell XPS8930 with an Intel I7-8700, 2 TB M.2 solid state drive and 32 GB of ram. I also have an ok, but nothing to write home about, Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 video card. My web server server status gadget usually reports about 11% CPU and about 25% MEM in use so it's definitely not overloaded. The video problem does not happen with video in the Blue Iris application, it only happens when I am looking at the web browser output from the Blue Iris web server. it also doesn't matter if all the cameras are being activated by motion or not. The video looks the same. The video is not choppy when watching or playing back clips but it is pixelated.
Before the update, I believe I had some problems with pixelated video with the web server on Internet Explorer and Firefox but no problem with Edge so I used Edge all the time and everything looked fine. However, since getting the new Edge browser, my web server video looks badly pixelated. I've checked around on the web trying to see if there were any other complaints about a badly performing browser but so far, I haven't seen anything that sounded like it might be similar to my problem. I'm just curious if anyone else noticed the same thing and I'd especially like to know how you fixed it if you did. Al the other video looks fine except for the Blue Iris web server. It looks fine on the browser on my Android phone. This is not an extremely serious problem but it is kind of annoying. If I need to have clearer video than the web browser is displaying I can always open the application.

Thanks,

Dave Messenger

Attachments

David Messenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, that's correct. What's strange is that if I take a snapshot of a frame in the webserver with the snapshot tool, the pixelated problem is not visible but if I actually screenshot the the same frame with the Windows snipping tool, the pixelated view is visible. Maybe I'll give Chrome a try to see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.

David Messenger

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I never messed around with the Streaming Quality settings on the webserver before but I thought I'd fool around with it to see if there was anything that might cause a change. Sure enough, I had never messed with that setting before but it must have somehow gotten changed when the new browser was installed (maybe I fat-fingered the selection). Anyway, it was set on 1080P VBR and when I changed it to just 1080P it looked just fine, no pixelated image. There are also several other settings including 2160 VBR. Well, as long as I don't select VBR (whatever that is) everything looks fine.

Reaction score
Hmmm...interesting. My BI server is similar to yours:

My server is an i7-8700 on a ASUS Prime H370M-Plus/CSM motherboard. 32GB memory in 2x16GB DDR4 3000. Intel M.2 256GB boot/program drive. One WD 500GB SSD for alert and other JPG files. Three 10TB WD Purple drives for direct-to-disk recording 24/7. An EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card for NVIDIA HA in BI. My office PC that I run the UI3 on is an older i7-3700K and is connected back to the BI server by going through a Netgear ProSAFE JGS516 switch. So the feed from the BI server to my desktop one floor away does NOT go through the router, just one hop through that switch. Both machines were recently update to the lates WIN10 and both have the new EDGE that is Chrome based.

I do not have your issue.

1593579990911.png

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
UI3 will look identical on Chromium Edge and Chrome. anyway I'm glad you got it fixed