Anybody tried getting rid of the plugs?

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I would like to find out, if anybody tried removing the power and female Ethernet plug and hardwire any of these Dahua cameras?
It would look so much nicer, without that bulky junction box, specially around the front door.
I assume, that it should be a plug inside, that is plugged into a female plug on a board(PCB).

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It isn't a standard plug inside. I'm pretty sure the wires from the pigtail are soldered onto circuit boards.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I could solder my Ethernet wires to the board, that in not a problem for me.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could solder my Ethernet wires to the board, that in not a problem for me.
So you don't want ANY connector, ANY where?
You would prefer to stand on a ladder and solder 8 each 23 gauge or smaller copper conductors to a PCB? :wtf:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hahahaha I'm quite sure he would not try to solder a new cable onto the camera while it is mounted in its final position.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
This camera would be in my porch, most likely on the rail. I can sit down and solder it that way. Or even replacing the existing female plug, with a long one and connecting together somewhere else, Playing with ideas here. My rail is narrower than the camera and I'm trying to reduce the footprint.
My latest idea is, to remove the ball from the mount and place it, inside fake birdhouse.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hahahaha I'm quite sure he would not try to solder a new cable onto the camera while it is mounted in its final position.
I couldn't tell by his first 2 posts.
........Or even replacing the existing female plug, with a long one and connecting together somewhere else, ......This camera would be in my porch, most likely on the rail.
Now I understand.... :cool:

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
Or you could hammer drill a 7/8" - 1" hole at a "T" intersection in the grout line and carefully push/pull connector into hole.

IMG_4779.JPG

fixxxer0

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what about literally cutting the head off and splicing each wire - then electrical tape it back together.

i had to do that once when a cable broke. looked ghetto, but worked, im sure it could be improved upon.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks lonney2ns for the generous offer. Initially I was considering the 5231R-Z that I have(more white "face" then black, like the ZE), than the wedge. My thought was to get rid of the junction box, because it ads to the bulkiness of the whole setup. But if I don't use the junction box, then what would I do with the connection?
Now I think, that I figured it out with a fake bird house. In there I could hide the extra wires. I have asked Andy, to get me a 5442TM-AS camera. I will be using only the ball, placed in the bird house and it will be installed on my porch column solidly, at eye level.

roaoro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I wish they made a POE only version of these cameras. The 12v plug has always been a sore for me...does anyone even use that plug anymore?

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-850F using Tapatalk

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
I only use it, when I try out the camera's right mounting spot, with a modified Asus router as a repeater, which can't supply power over the Ethernet cable. After that, I have never use it again.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think the 12v plug is used by some here when they use an external microphone. They use a PoE power splitter just before the camera connection to send power to both the microphone and camera.