Anyone experienced with non-Honeywell ip cams on a Honeywell NVR

HRCNSFAN

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello all. New member here with my first question. I manage a storage facility and want to add some cameras to the available channels on our Honeywell HEN16162. Does anyone here have any experience adding a different brand of onvif ip camera? Just wondering if there were any additional issues you encountered and whether or not I should stick with the Honeywell branded bullet cameras. Changing the system isn’t a practical choice so I just want to add cameras to max out the channels.
Also…any recommendations for online websites for the purchase of said cameras?
Thank you, in advance, everyone.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you don't receive any more qualified responses, consider the following:
  • Honeywell cams are generally OEM'd by Dahua.
  • Although the specs I read here don't come right out and state that it's ONVIF compatible, in the Q & A's someone asks"..Will this support other brands of cameras with ONVIF streams?" and 'Honeywell Guru Jul 18, 2017' answered "Yes the Honeywell HEN NVRs accept ONVIF compliant cameras. The setup is quicker and easier with Honeywell Performance Series IP cameras. However, 3rd party ONVIF cameras can work."
That being said, I'd try a recent Dahua IP cam that is ONVIF-compatible (as most recent ones are). Even an Amcrest (also a re-branded Dahua) should work.

HRCNSFAN

n3wb
Reaction score
If you don't receive any more qualified responses, consider the following:
  • Honeywell cams are generally OEM'd by Dahua.
  • Although the specs I read here don't come right out and state that it's ONVIF compatible, in the Q & A's someone asks"..Will this support other brands of cameras with ONVIF streams?" and 'Honeywell Guru Jul 18, 2017' answered "Yes the Honeywell HEN NVRs accept ONVIF compliant cameras. The setup is quicker and easier with Honeywell Performance Series IP cameras. However, 3rd party ONVIF cameras can work."
That being said, I'd try a recent Dahua IP cam that is ONVIF-compatible (as most recent ones are). Even an Amcrest (also a re-branded Dahua) should work.
Thanks for the input, Tony. I saw that discussion online as well. The comment that says “setup is quicker and easier with Honeywell” is what prompted my question regarding any issues that were encountered with non-honeywell branded cams.
I guess I’ll check amazon and other places for one to try. Any recommendations for online suppliers?
Thank you for your service. I’m an Army vet myself although Nam was a bit before my time. 2/319th Airborne Field Artillery, Ft. Bragg.