Anyone messed with Thermal cameras ??

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hampshire - South central Uk, right at the bottom
Just interested to see if anyone has installed or messed with thermal cameras and if so how do you find it, what analytics do they offer and would the addition of Thermal and traditional auto track PTZ be a viable and cost effective option as opposed to a multi Ip cam install

Ip cams traditionally cover areas within a boundary and or premises, i`m thinking of covering outside of the boundary's in a non residential environment

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
there are few options affordable enough for deployment, Thermals are used for long range presence detection.. they cant be used to identify anything, just detect that its there so other cameras or security personell can investigate.. just recording thermal for later review would be near pointless, you almost need a human paired with one for it to be of any use.

they have extremely long ranges depending on environment you can detect human sized mammals for thousands of feet, and vehicles for a few times more than that..

Right now there use is pretty much exclusive for very high security environments or search and rescue, want to protect military assets in the middle of a desert.. its perfect, or search for a lost human floating in the ocean.. for most commercial and residential security, there not many applications to justify the premium... unless you have a bigfoot hunting tv show.

if they ever came down to sane levels I would like to put one up in a field on some hunting property, just to have a census on night time wildlife.

Last edited by a moderator:

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am just realizing the fact that this is new tech nayr, after a bit of googling info seems sparse.... i can see prices of FLIR at reasonable rates tbh especially compared to decent multi IP cams

In my particular circumstance i do have the option to deploy but i also want to accompany it with ptz auto tracking for the human eye recognition part but i am interested in the PTZ auto tracking what the FLIR detects, no human interaction other than remotely if notified

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Dahua does have some thermals out now, and they are partnered with FLIR Systems.. cost seems to be ~2-5k depending.. and thats alot better than the 20-30k+ most have been for decades now.

Still pretty expensive unless this is a very high security environment.. if you have visible light PTZ's paired with it it can be really effective PTZ motion sensor.. it can have a nice wide overview of the area and tell the visible light PTZ what's going on where.. it wont be fooled by weather and non-heat emitting objects

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a particular circumstance that has fields to the right and rear in a rural location, light outside of the zone is nill, i`m currently of the thinking that alerts BEFORE a break in are better than alerts during a break in, another issue is the zone is fronted by a road, setting Virtual lines is not an option as headlight pollution can and will trigger events

I have a choice multi Ip with the difficulty of setting detection and giving non false alerts or deploy Thermal

I have yet to decide on cam types but at a guess the amount and type required would be a ball park 5k £ i can see thermals around 3k inc vat add to that a decent Hik PTZ and the total ball park figure is 4K £ yes i appreciate rough numbers but thernal is looking like and option, i wondered if anyone had experience with it

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Optex has some very nice long range motion sensors that might be better suited, otherwise your going to need some serious software to controll your PTZ via FLIR input.

http://www.optexamerica.com/security-products?f[0]=field_product_location%3AOutdoor&f[1]=field_product_wire%3AWired

Those are easier to integrate with a normal vision PTZ, and they even have PoE controller thats pretty cheap so you can run 4 motion sensors I think off the same ethernet cable.
Funny enough i already looked at exactly those from a different supplier but same kit, they may be of use but again its about location and positioning, overlooking fields hmm not really sure, they would almost certainly introduce the trial and error factor which is time consuming and ultimately costly, i think if you worked with them a great deal then there use and deployment locations would be obvious, however i dont so would really be on a learning curve, not that i am not already with thermal lol

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
What? Somebody actually installed more lighting to help their cameras see? Say it ain't so!

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
9000 lumens per pole x 20 = 180,000 lumens to cover 3,915 m2 i have to be honest it was not my idea and i have no idea if its adequate but anything is better than nothing, i have a feeling it will be pretty workable

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unless you have big money, forget about Z in PTZ for thermal cameras. They are usually only fixed focal length, due to the nature of the optics, which is pure germanium.

The lens is really interesting, they are thick, heavy, and do not pass any visible light.

hiky

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unless you have big money, forget about Z in PTZ for thermal cameras. They are usually only fixed focal length, due to the nature of the optics, which is pure germanium.

The lens is really interesting, they are thick, heavy, and do not pass any visible light.
Defo an oversight in my typing camfan, PT yes - Z no

Actually i`m just playing with jvsg software, although it is missing many cameras it helps with FOV`s and focal lengths alot, and i havent looked but im pretty sure thermal is not an option, tbh neither is nightime but then again i am only using the free trial as a test