Anyone successfully streaming live to YT via RTMP?

kryten22uk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey all

I've got a DS-2CD2086G2-IU, which is all wired using CAT6 on my gigabit LAN, and ultimately to my FTTP ISP at 1000mpbs up/down.

I successfully updated the firmware to the version with RTMP (V5.5.131 build 210609), then enabled RTMP in the config, and set YouTube up to receive the signal. So it all "works", but the image is very unstable. It can get quite pixelated. I've tried a few different bitrates, resolutions etc, but doesnt change the problem much. I get a perfect picture when viewing the camera feed on web browser or via HIK-Connect. I also get a perfect feed when pushing the feed via RTSP to OBS and then on to YouTube that way. Its just for some reason the RTMP protocol can't cope.

I've seen a few youtube videos of people settin up the RTMP live stream, but there's very little in the way of actual ongoing user experience. Again, a few threads on this forum of people asking if/how to set up RTMP but not much in the way of people saying they successfully use it.

Does the online brain-trust think this is just sods-law and a problem with the firmware, or is there something else I could test?

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would try other streaming platform and see if theres any difference. If on other platform image is clear, it could be something else than firmware related

1713251420001.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
THIS^^^^.

If OBS is OK and if you can get another one or two from the above suggestions to stream well then I'd agree it's firmware-related.
My bluebird cam streams great to OBS and then to YT.

kryten22uk

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, so I created a Twitch account and tried that out. Same issue as with YouTube - RTMP is glitchy and unstable but RTSP to OBS is clean.