Anyone tried the IPC-T2831TM-AS ?

adams123

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been reading and learning over the last month- great info here and thanks to all who contribute. Getting close to making a purchase from Andy for my home and noticed this 8mp turret on his AliExpress page- US $109.99 5% OFF|2019 New 4K Camera IPC T2831TM AS 8MP Lite IR Fixed focal Eyeball Network Camera, free DHL Shipping on AliExpress
I searched and couldn't find any info on it here. Is it a new release or something?
I have a lot of ambient light (streetlight and house lights) at night, so I value higher resolution during the day over a more expensive low-light sensor for night. It does have the Starlight badge on the description though, .009 min lux. At $109.99, it seems like a good price.
Am I overlooking any reviews on this camera?

Thanks

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I searched and couldn't find any info on it here. Is it a new release or something?
Interesting, looks like Dahua went through the older Lite series and replaced most with a newer "S2" (series 2?) version.

For the 2831 8MP/4K models, it looks like the newer "S2" versions are a bit of a downgrade in the low-light area (based on specs) though. They have a smaller image sensor (1/2.7" vs the older 1/1.8") and the min. lux increased to 0.009 from 0.003. Funny Dahua didn't consider the original 2831s to be Starlight but the new ones are. Unfortunately, with the image sensor change, I wouldn't expect them to perform like the original 2831s, so I wouldn't bother reading reviews of the original 2831s.

At least with the S2 update there's now a varifocal turret option. The original 2831 series was just domes and bullets, no turrets.

And while the low-light performance doesn't appear to be as good as the original 2831s (or current 1831s), for anyone specifically looking for a 8MP/4K varifocal turret, the 2831TM-S2 does look better than the other 8MP/4K varifocal model (5831). 0.009 Lux vs 0.05 Lux.