Anyway to improve quality of fast moving objects?

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All of my exterior cameras are set to 20FPS with the default exp default at 1/30. Walking speed is OK but if someone is running by, it looks like "The Flash" I'm using a mixed of Hikvision and Dahua 3 and 4Mp cameras.

Increasing the aperature exposure will probably improve this but it will most likey darken the image.

Is this just the nature of the beast or are there ways to make things better?

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All of my exterior cameras are set to 20FPS with the default exp default at 1/30. Walking speed is OK but if someone is running by, it looks like "The Flash" I'm using a mixed of Hikvision and Dahua 3 and 4Mp cameras.
Is this during the day when it's well lit outside? But yeah, generally speaking, to reduce blur on faster moving objects, increase the shutter speed.

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
both day and night but at night is particularly worse. I'll mess with the shutter and ISO today to see if it does any good

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yes I'm well alware of exposure of shutter speed and exposure. IP Cameras however do not always call them the same way. :(
No problem, just thought it was an interesting video.

On my Dahua’s, they call ISO “gain”. Shutter speed didn’t get a new name. :)

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

That's what I just noticed as well and you have to put in a range of 0-100 for the gain o_O ..:banghead:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score

That's what I just noticed as well and you have to put in a range of 0-100 for the gain o_O ..:banghead:
The name "gain" makes some sense for any digital camera because that's really what it is. Usually this sets the gain of the amplifiers that buffer/amplify the voltages stored in each photosite's capacitor as it gets multiplexed into, and read by, the A/D converter.

But I wonder if the 0-100 range is linear and represents 0-100% (of full gain). If so, that's kind of annoying since we'd really rather see a logarithmic scale.

It would be nice if they'd use normal photographic terminology and scaling for everything since that's what most people are used to.

Back in the day, we called ISO by the name ASA (damned globalization), and you set that by what film you shot, and how you processed it. I don't miss having to push Tri-X to ASA 800 to shoot indoor sports like basketball, though! ;)

dannieboiz

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The name "gain" makes some sense for any digital camera because that's really what it is. Usually this sets the gain of the amplifiers that buffer/amplify the voltages stored in each photosite's capacitor as it gets multiplexed into, and read by, the A/D converter.

But I wonder if the 0-100 range is linear and represents 0-100% (of full gain). If so, that's kind of annoying since we'd really rather see a logarithmic scale.

It would be nice if they'd use normal photographic terminology and scaling for everything since that's what most people are used to.

Back in the day, we called ISO by the name ASA (damned globalization), and you set that by what film you shot, and how you processed it. I don't miss having to push Tri-X to ASA 800 to shoot indoor sports like basketball, though! ;)
the 0-100 is the level from low to high. I can see tha this make sense for "most people" but as a hobbyist photographer, this threw me off by a long shot! I'm used to seeing 50/100/250 etc...