app keeps logging out

veert

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the app disconnect while in the background? Basically, it logs into the server alright and works the way it's supposed to, but when the phone is left unattended, it blanks out, and after a while I can be sure that the app has disconnected. I tried the Automatically Log In checkbox, but still, the app works only when I'm looking at it.

potluckman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Veert:

Have I think a similar problem. I run BI on a dedicated W10 machine in a secure vault so I cannot see the display. So to monitor cams around
our farm I have tried to use these cheap android computers running the Mobile App to output HDMI. It works ok but every morning it seems
they have disconected. Many of the times the BI mobile App has also been exited and I have to restart and then tell it to reconnect to my server.
I sure wish Ken at BI would provide a way for the server software to provide the equivalent of Remote Desktop (I sometimes use that to restart
programm on server but it is ungodly slow and locks up often.)over network. Hope someone has a way to cure both our problems.

veert

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
potluckman:

I've done some research..... Android is notorious in regards to background processes. Furthermore, OS developers see it as a feature, not a bug. Why? It extends battery life, it prevents computer-illiterate phone users overloading the phone's RAM etc. etc. That way, phone mfrs can get away with cranking out subpar hardware.

The consequence of that approach is that the OS (unlike a desktop one!) never gives you any guarantee your app will be left peacefully running in the background.

Theoretically, your specific Android device (to be precise, the firmware, since these are replaceable) might have some settings designed to change that behavior. There's significant variety among firmware versions, so unfortunately, I can't provide you with reliable tips here.

You might want to look for those settings on your devices, but tell you what - those aren't guaranteed to work, either! I'm saying all this so you understand that the odds are stacked against you.... don't get frustrated.

Eventually, I've had some luck with TinyCam - but again, I had to go through some hoops before I got it to work.

potluckman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
potluckman:

I've done some research..... Android is notorious in regards to background processes. Furthermore, OS developers see it as a feature, not a bug. Why? It extends battery life, it prevents computer-illiterate phone users overloading the phone's RAM etc. etc. That way, phone mfrs can get away with cranking out subpar hardware.

The consequence of that approach is that the OS (unlike a desktop one!) never gives you any guarantee your app will be left peacefully running in the background.

Theoretically, your specific Android device (to be precise, the firmware, since these are replaceable) might have some settings designed to change that behavior. There's significant variety among firmware versions, so unfortunately, I can't provide you with reliable tips here.

You might want to look for those settings on your devices, but tell you what - those aren't guaranteed to work, either! I'm saying all this so you understand that the odds are stacked against you.... don't get frustrated.

Eventually, I've had some luck with TinyCam - but again, I had to go through some hoops before I got it to work.

Veert:

Thank you for spending your time getting that info. Does seem to explain how this little computer seem to fail/disconnecct as restarting the
app and everything is great until next time. I do have one that seems to never drop the app except when we lose power but this chinese junk
does not really have much to identify the particular model/mfg. I still really do not know why they don't add a remote viewing and control
function to the main software. Surely I am not the only person that keeps my BI server locked away in a safe place where I cannot see it.
Oh well on with the fight. I like what can be done with computer chips but not that swift working with software. My 20th century analog
engineering education does not seem to help me much anymore.

veert

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
potluckman:

NP.

I like your way of thinking in that it would make sense to properly identify the one device that doesn't drop the connection. Might I suggest that you focus on identifying the firmware it's running - not as problematic and more promising vs hardware in the sense that you would then be able to proliferate that firmware version to the other devices. No guarantees wrt those even in that case, but higher chances of getting the things to work the way you naively expected them to out of the box.

However, you are also right in anticipating that this type of work is a time sink. Not to mention that it will void any warranties you have on your devices and jeopardize your sensitive data (that is, if you keep any on the devices). You might want to find someone in your area who actually enjoys it.

Also, don't disregard my above suggestion to give TinyCam a try - that product is clearly 'aware' of the problem we're discussing. It would be OT to start that discussion in this thread, but people on this forum are obviously experimenting with TC.

potluckman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yeah I pulled up the TinyCam after your last comment and will likely give that a try.. I guess worst case I can go
with one of the $100 mini pcs running W10 and just view on chrome like I do on my laptop. Thanks again for your
time and help.

Leonard

veert

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Now, with TinyCam, you want the PRO version (it doesn't cost much at all), since it allows background processing, and do pay attention to the corresponding settings.

Best.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or use the excellent builtin UI3 interface with Chrome.
A properly configured BI machine should very rarely need rebooted.

potluckman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you run Chrome on a android device? I do you chrome on my laptop and it works great reading the BI stream but wanted to use low cost
android streaming boxes.

Leonard