Are there any usable F1.0, manual zoom lens for the IP cameras?

LinuxHata

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello.
I need manual zoom/manual iris/manual focus lens for a specific IP camera project.
Mount has no preference, whenever it is CS, M12 or whatsoever.

So far, I was only able to find Tamron 3-8mm/F1.0 CS mount lens.
I've bought it, but resolution at open aperture is awful - OK for 640x480, so so for 720p and unusable at FHD. You have to close aperture to about F2.0, which makes whole idea of that lens useless.
So I'm looking for something in 3X-5X zoom range, for 1/2.7 sensors and to be resolve FHD at fully open aperture.

Any ideas?

steve1225

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Heh...
Lens don't have resolution.. image sensors have resolution...

You don't have problem with resolution - but with sharpeness. Or rather the lack of it.
Big apertures like F/1.0 gives Bokeh effect (Bokeh - Wikipedia).

Only object at specified distance are sharp, everything else are blurred.
This is nice / welcome effect for artistics photography.. But not for CCTV footage.

To correct this You must close aperture.
Normal CCTV cameras (and all mobiles phones and sport cameras like GoPro) use smaller max apertures like F/1.8 or something. This gives sharpness for object at all distances.

There are CCTV cameras with F/1.0 lenses on market - usually called FullColor - they have specially designed F/1.0 lenses to minimize Bokeh effect - but even them have problems with blurred image at low distances (less that a few meters).

But You can't replicate them with normal "photography" lens created for Bokeh effect.

LinuxHata

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I know what depth of field is, I also have resolution test charts, with proper illumination, and other measuring tools, not typical for an average user.
So this particular Tamron lens has very low resolution at wide open aperture, with a lot of chromatic aberrations and fuzziness, making it useless.
I do have very sharp F1.0 fixed aperture M12 lens, but they are not zoom lens and they do not have aperture control.
So this is why I asked for a manual zoom, F1.0 aperture lens with manual focus and aperture control.