ASH42-W Wireless IP Cam

relensky

n3wb
Reaction score
I was looking to add a fixed position camera and ran across the ASH42-W from Amcrest. I have a couple Amcrest cameras already (IP3M-941) that perform pretty well so I took a chance on this one. I wanted something with longer distance for the IR illuminator as its about 70 feet to across the area I want to view. This camera is rated to 98' for IR. It does a good job covering my space and I can surely see a little further beyond the limit of my property with ease.
Like many cameras, it comes with an easy to use app to set it up with your smart device. I used this to get the camera installed but wasn't interested in the app (or cloud storage) after that, I went in to my server and it was immediately visible on my network. After a few minutes in BI 5 I had it set up the way I wanted and feeding into my Network storage.
The camera performance overall is quite good for a camera of this level. Its a 4M image, providing good clarity and color reproduction. It handles the transitions at dusk and dawn quite well, providing rich details in this difficult lighting time. I am quite pleased with the wireless response so far. I have not seen any issues communicating with my network, even with the camera mounted outside, 32 feet from the access point.
If you are looking for a good wireless IP camera to add to your network. This is a good choice.