Asus Router 68U OpenVPN Setup issues :/

Rockjaw

n3wb
Reaction score
Few questions: I’m installing a VPN on my Asus router 68U and I have followed this document

[VPN] How to set up a VPN server on ASUS router – OpenVPN | Official Support | ASUS Canada

I installed OpenVPN on my iphone and emailed the config file client.ovpn into the OpenVPN app and the error I am getting when I try to connect “Connection Time Out - Connection failed to establish within a given time”

#1. Do I need to setup a DDNS to asuscomm.com (lots of online pages say Asus no longer supports this, is there a different way?)
- I did set one up and I believe it’s working because I see my name when I look on the ASUS page: ASUS Nslookup
#2. Do you need Merlin (3rd party software) on the router for this to work?
#3. It seems like the issue I might be having is in the Authentication mode: TLS (I don’t have an option currently to pick 1.0./1.1/1.2 etc.) on my Asus 68u router
#4. Do I need to setup a VPN client on my router that has the same login and password as the Server Login and Password?
#5. Do I need OpenVPN installed locally on my windows computer?

I have everything set correctly from the page above as well I have went through Randy’s Home Projects page (which was posted on this forum somewhere)
OpenVPN on a Asus router

I also shut down my Windows Firewall to see if that was holding back the connection

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can try next to get my phone connected into the VPN.

Attachments

Reaction score
I tried this on my asus router with merlin and couldn't get it to work either. I have a asus domain but it doesn't work anymore and I'm on android.

camdensnyder

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have the same setup and use OpenVPN. You have to download the OpenVPN app on your IPhone.
1. Login to your router on a computer in your home and setup the OpenVPN on it.
2. While on your WI-FI on your IPhone, go to a web browser and login in your asus router.
3. Go to the OpenVPN under the router settings and download the link to your FILES folder on your IPhone.
4. Open the OpenVPN app on your phone and then find the OpenVPN file that you downloaded and it will create the OpenVPN.