Axis integration with Home assistant etc

dohat leku

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
folks - I'm getting a whole Axis system (cameras & NVR) at a deeply discounted price through a vendor I did some business with. Can anybody comment on the home automation integration and how it compares to what Blue iris has. In the future, I'd like to set up home assistant do things like turn lights on when a person is detected

Also is Axis capable of facial recognition - I'd like to receive alerts only when a non-family member approaches our house. Lastly I'd like to hear about how good the mobile app is for viewing and alerts

I can either go with Axis cameras & NVR or simply tie the Axis cameras to blue iris

Thx

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not a lot of Axis users here due to price frankly. I've had 3 but at 3x the price of Dahua's that did just as well, hard to justify in a residential setting.

Like most manufacturers they make a lot of different camera and NVR models. Not all models do Facial recognition. The technology isnt exactly mature/100% just yet either, but if you're interested I'd research here to start: Facial recognition | Axis Communications

Can't help you on the home automation stuff.

Joakim B

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, I don't know the details about Blue Iris but you can check out this site for various ACAPs including the MQTT ACAP that can be used together with e.g. Home Assistant. Home Assistant will also identify your devices out of the box (or at least hass.io that I use).

Good luck //J

Ankh

n3wb
Reaction score
I never did it before. But i'm pretty sure it can be integrated with home assistant via VAPIX (Axis's very-own API). Also some of Axis cameras had seperate IO port on it. It varies on what home assistant you use and what cameras you have.