Baby monitor Dahua vs Amcrest

johnnyb

n3wb
Reaction score
Another baby cam post, though have narrowed it down to Dahua IPC-K35S through Andy or Amcrest IP4M-1051W via Amazon. Both similar price.

Will be connected to Wifi (Ubiquiti AP in the roof space nearly directly above), and located on the bedside table next to the cot. Intend to use a baby cam app on a tablet. Existing ipcam system is exterior Dahua Starlights with POE to near dedicated headless Blue Iris system.

My questions-
  • is the pan/tilt of the Amcrest any benefit here considering the FOV (we had pan/tilt on our current dedicated baby monitor and can't recall ever using it)
  • will the Dahua interact better with Blue Iris or a dedicated baby cam app not being rebranded hardware
  • any features that make one particular stand out over the other, in particular night viewing (which is shocking on our current baby monitor hence looking at a proper cam).

Thanks all.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not being familiar with the Dahau, I'll ask if it has as wide of a FOV (120 degrees) as the Amcrest and if it is also Dual Band (2,4 & 5 GHz) like the Amcrest, in case either is something you may consider (especially the wide FOV).

johnnyb

n3wb
Reaction score
Not being familiar with the Dahau, I'll ask if it has as wide of a FOV (120 degrees) as the Amcrest and if it is also Dual Band (2,4 & 5 GHz) like the Amcrest, in case either is something you may consider (especially the wide FOV).
Dahua's is 100 degree FOV compared with Amcrest's 120 degree. That's a main concern I suppose, not sure of the significance if the cam will be within a reaching distance of the cot/baby being monitored.

Yes dual channel 802.11ac.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'd say it's a close race and you'd likely be pleased either way so it boils down to price and/or vendor.
Amazon has a great return policy with the Amcrest and if Andy ( @EMPIRETECANDY ) can sell you the Dahua then you're in great shape either way.

John V

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've had the Amcrest IP4M-1051W setup for about 2 months now. It's a great unit. Has good sound and you can even talk through blueiris (however the audio sounds like a robot)t

btw, I am using this for a baby monitor

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regarding the Amcrest (Dahua-rebrand) indoor P/T/Digital Zoom cams, I've installed 4 of the IP2M-841's (1080P) and 3 of the IPM-721's (720P) and all have functioned with no hiccups for the past 3 years. They're ONVIF compatible, RTSP, work great with Blue Iris and VLC , audio in/out, SD card, with wall/ceiling bracket. You can get white, black or silver. A hard to beat value, IMO.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This just in: Amcrest is offering a baby-monitor-like cam for $40 that although it may seem like a great deal, there are some caveats:

The model ASH21-B Black is part of the "Smart Home" series and is cloud-based. You may be able to use their app after creating an account to get it to stream to Blue Iris (they claim you can with their video doorbell), but I can't attest to that and I would prefer the IP2M-841 for $5 more. I know it's not cloud-based, can stream to BI or VLC, has built-in speaker and mike (PLUS jacks for both of those!), accepts an SD card and even has alarm I/O terminals. Also has a 1/4-20 female threaded hole on bottom for the included mount so it can be wall or ceiling mounted (or fit a tripod).

Not saying the ASH-21 is a bad deal as I have not owned it but I CAN say the IP2M-841 beats the pants off of it, IMO.

EDIT 4/1/21: V3 of the IP2M-841 does NOT provide relay I/O nor jacks for an external mic and speaker.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
The IP2M-841 is well known in the ipcamtalk community, can't go wrong, just make sure you get the PoE version, otherwise you will need to buy a PoE adapter if you buy the non-PoE version and want to avoid an extra power supply.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The IP2M-841 is well known in the ipcamtalk community, can't go wrong, just make sure you get the PoE version, otherwise you will need to buy a PoE adapter if you buy the non-PoE version and want to avoid an extra power supply.
Agreed, the "E" suffix for "POE equipped", as in IP2M-841EW (white) or IP2M-841EB (black), could very well be worth the additional $20 for many folks.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I had to buy PoE adapters after realizing that I had purchased the non-PoE version (explains why they were on sale in the first place 3-4 years ago). :D The adapters are $20 alone (Amcrest branded) but worth it. These Amcrest cameras were technically my first real IP cameras back in the day. Prior I was experimenting with Amazon's selection of complete junk with accompanying fake reviews on products sold by Zmodo (fake PoE) to Sannce (BNC being advertised as PoE), I even tried Swann quickly realizing that everything rebranded was all proprietary in which at the end of the day end-users couldn't even flash Dahua / Hyperikon firmware. If "novice users" had to buy cameras from wholesale clubs within North America, based on user feedback here, Lorex, Qsee, LaView, and Amcrest are the way to go in case you're venturing for a complete setup with support from US-based companies.

Agreed, the "E" suffix for "POE equipped", as in IP2M-841EW (white) or IP2M-841EB (black), could very well be worth the additional $20 for many folks.

Last edited:

johnnyb

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I probably won't go the POE version- somewhat because I can't seem to find it (for the 1051), but mainly will need to be a mobile unit so will use AC power and WiFi. Can look at an adapter in the future if I ceiling mount it.

Looks like a fair amount of love for the Amcrest- convinced. Thanks again.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL, long story short, avoid the cheap too good to be true stuff as much as you can, Warning: Watch for false POE kits from vendors on Amazon, Ebay - such as this "POE" kit from Sannce / Annke ( XPOE )

Cost's $80 for a 4-camera w/ NVR systems from Sannce, someone thought they were getting a deal only to see the entire system being tossed in a electronics recycling bin at a local Best Buy

It could have been repurposed like this but that person thought it just wasn't worth it, he could have donated it, but it would have never been another party's treasure because it was that bad.....of trash

1581383637177.png

I knew about their crappy, proprietary "sPOE", Simpified POE

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It does my heart good to see lying, cheating scammers like Zmodo with their "sPOE" and Sannce with their intentional misuse of the acronym "POE" get exposed for the crooks that they are. I appreciate posts like yours, @Arjun , and past posts from @mat200 about the issue.

I'd like to think that in time enough readers will become super-savvy and steer clear of their crap causing their little scam shows to disappear. Unfortunately, there's always a few uninformed out there that unwittingly fall into their trap. :confused:

jazzy1

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
any updates on this Amcrest ASH-21 ? anyone get it showing up in Blue Iris??...like the fact it has Auto -tracking....is there another cam in this price range that has auto-tracking?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
any updates on this Amcrest ASH-21 ? anyone get it showing up in Blue Iris??...like the fact it has Auto -tracking....is there another cam in this price range that has auto-tracking?
Amcrest support states here that it can work with Blue Iris but must first be set up with their app.
Note that images are "busted" on that page but the text explains the process.