Backup BI Server - 1 Camera, 2 Servers for failover

gomango

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it possible to use a camera's main stream for a "main" BI server, and the cameras substream for a "backup" BI server for the purposes of redundancy or is there a better way to have a failover system?

Just trying to get my head around it. Thanks for any and all help!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible to use a camera's main stream for a "main" BI server, and the cameras substream for a "backup" BI server for the purposes of redundancy or is there a better way to have a failover system?

Just trying to get my head around it. Thanks for any and all help!
Yes if that's what you wanted to do, you could use a mainstream on both servers.

gomango

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks looney2ns! I didn't realize that a camera can serve multiple "main" or "sub" streams to multiple servers... for some reason I thought one stream per server like it was a single pipe. I wonder how many servers a camera can stream video to on the same channel simultaneously? Would you know? Thanks again.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
or is there a better way to have a failover system?
An onboard SD Card would be significantly cheaper. Make sure you get a high endurance card though.

For just a single camera the cheapest compatible NVR you can buy would also work.

As much as I love BI, a second BI box for redundancy seems like overkill and the most expensive way to do things in these circumstances

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
An onboard SD Card would be significantly cheaper. Make sure you get a high endurance card though.

For just a single camera the cheapest compatible NVR you can buy would also work.

As much as I love BI, a second BI box for redundancy seems like overkill and the most expensive way to do things in these circumstances
But you keep the interface the same on both. $150 computer recording substeams could work as a redundant computer.