Backup of BI videos?

BYS

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the usual PC based BI setup with 2 HDDs. New to all this and considering someone could run off with the PC. I know the cams have an SD card backup but are you more exprienced folks using some kind of NAS backup offsite? Or is that overkill because after looking into it, it sure is expensive (approaching $900 even on Prime Day for a 4bay plus decent sized (only one) HDD. I have read about some folks using BackBlaze but it seems despite being touted as "continuous" backup its actually every hour. Is setting up something simple such as emailing or uploading to Google Drive of only motion videos possible and practical? I have ATT&T Fiber 1G. Thank you. Apologies if these questions are too elementary. Am just trying to sort it all out.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't put the PC out in plain view if you have theft concerns.
Otherwise, most of us consider the SD cards placed in to the cams to be adequate back up.
Use known good SD cards, as their are many fakes out there.
I use Samsung Evo Plus cards, and they've served me well.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
Many put the BI server in a closet, run it headless and access it with their favorite RDP.
In case the house loses power, be sure to have a good, adequately-sized UPS to power the server and POE switch(es) that power the cameras.

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I hid a Synology NAS in a closet under some stairs. I have BI ftp some alert images and/or video to the NAS. Just the alerts that I consider most important, i.e. front door, PZT, and LPRs. I have room for about 6 months history.

BYS

n3wb
Reaction score
I hid a Synology NAS in a closet under some stairs. I have BI ftp some alert images and/or video to the NAS. Just the alerts that I consider most important, i.e. front door, PZT, and LPRs. I have room for about 6 months history.
Hi, I tried syc then backup to the NAS anytime there is a new BI file. The HDD activity was insane lol. Will try your suggestion on SOME not all.