Backyard POE recommendation

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm considering making my next camera purchase a Dahua. I've heard the price is lower and the firmware isn't quite the mess as with Hikvision cameras (I have several). I'm looking for an outdoor POE with a built-in mic. It will be mounted in the corner of my yard at the 90 degree intersection of two wooden fences. I'd like to mount it on the face of the fence so I'm thinking bullet but I'm sure I could mount a board across the two fence sections if you think a turret would be better. The camera would be in the left corner of the attached photo looking at the side and back of the garage with a max distance from fence to fence of about 45'. I'd like 4MP or better. Can you guys give me a Dahua recommendation? Thanks for your time!

Attachments

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
mrvelous01,

Some thoughts:
- turrets can be mounted vertically or horizontally, and then adjusted. Turrets have adjust-ability.
- you could try the turret, and if a 45 deg block is required between the two fences, well, you build it then.
- the choice of turret vs bullet is usually based on factors or a) aesthetics, b) ext alarm & audio i/o
- deterrence to bugs/spiders

If your objective is to monitor the garage, consider a cam with IVS (ie: smart monitoring). The tripline and intrusion zone capabilities FAR, FAR exceed Motion Detection.
The external connection for an alarm input would allow you to use a PIR + Radar sensor, which performs better than MD and IVS. I love my Bosch OD850. Your garage at 45ft may be better protected with an auxiliary sensor connected to the cam. I also like my laser line - only 3 to 5 false alarms in 9 months of use.

4mp? How'd you arrive at that? Did you faall into the MP trap?
Unless you only care about daytime video, you're better off with 2MP. Check out the review on this thread for Dahua Starlight Varifocal (bullet and turret reviewed separately). The review includes pics, side by side, where the 2mp Starlight blows the 4mp cam outta the water at night, and even has an advantage during the day.

And Starlight would be my cam recommendation. My new 2MP Starlight bullet will replace my 4MP bullet. Turret has built in mic, and no local i/o for mics or alarms. Bullet allows external devices: mic, sensors, strobe lights, etc.

Fastb

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It would mostly be used for watching my dogs during daylight hours when I'm not around the house.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or the Z5 Starlight bullet w/35mm that I have on the way.. If you want a Varifcal Bullet that kicks ass, this is going to be hard to beat

I think he might have a few laying around unclaimed

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. I'm more optimistic about the turret now.

Fastb - can you explain what you meant about the "MP trap"? I would have thought that the better the picture resolution meant better overall image? Does a higher MP res. translate to worse night vision? For my purposes it will be 99% snooping on dogs digging up by the fence behind the garage during daylight and twilight hours, not necessarily watching for bad guys. Bad dogs and bad rodents maybe. Thanks.

Solar Deity

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you read the first 3-4 pages of Ryan's @nayr review of the hdw5231r-z, you will see the 2MP out performs his 4MP variant. LOREX/SWANN/GW/ etc. all push maximum MP for marketing purposes, when in fact the 2 MP Starlight out performs the higher MP cameras. The Megapixel trap.

Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

SD

Last edited: