Basic and Smart Event help

Ballistic

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a factory with a bunch of hikvision EXIR IPcameras connected to a QNAP Viostor NVR.

Im trying to find the best way to get emails when someone breaks in or walks around in the defined schedule aka our offline hours.

I recently had a Break in, the dude even took a shower and walked around the factory in his underwear, he was there for 6+ hours.

Im just not sure whats the best way to go about doing this, there's
Line Crossing Detection
Intrusion Detection
Motion Detection (Normal and Expert)
Video Tampering

I have played a little bit with it but get way too many false alerts and to stop the false alerts i have gotten way to low of sensitivity where i don't think it will work.

Thanks in advanced!

acp_xt

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,

Sorry to hear about the break-in. I have 2 Hikvisions connected to a QNAP NAS (TS-231+) running Surveillance Station (which I believe is similar to the software on the Viostar). Provided that the camera is compatible with the QNAP, the SS software relies on the camera to send a trigger for each motion detection alert. However currently it supports only the basic motion detection event, not the more advanced line/intrusion/tamper events.

So to overcome this limitation, I have a kind of hybrid setup for motion detection:

On each camera:
-Basic Motion detection event was automatically set up by the SS software when I added the cameras the first time. I then went into the camera settings, switched to expert mode, and switched off email alerts for this basic motion detection because it generates too many false alerts. I also reduced the sensitivity - QNAP sets it an insane 90/100.
- Manually I set up line crossing detection, intrusion detection and tamper detection and tweaked them till I got very few false alerts (almost zero). Email alert is set up in each camera. Reason is that the QNAP NAS email alerts are not as nice as the ones I get from the camera directly.

On the QNAP NAS SS software:

-Records each camera on a 24/7 schedule
-Since the QNAP recognises only basic motion detection, it puts an alert marker (red line) on the timeline. This is good for us because a line crossing detection, intrusion detection or tamper detection alert would also cause a basic motion detection alert and make the SS software place a marker on the timeline.

The above setup works very well for me. When motion is detected (line or intrusion or tamper), I get individual email alerts from each camera, and push alerts on the iVMS-4500 app on my Android. I then quickly open the tinyCAM Monitor Pro app on my phone to see the multi-channel live view (takes 3-5 seconds to load both channels). Later if I go to the NAS SS software (web client or QVR client), I can pull up the recorded video using the timestamp from the emails or the red markers placed on the timeline by SS.

Let me know if any of the above needs more explaining!

Cheers