basic NVR/switch question

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have an 5 cameras attached directly to a Hikvision NVR. I would like to add 2 additional cameras to a remote switch for the benefit of only having to run one run of Cat 6 back to the NVR.

Do I connect the run from the switch directly into one of the camera ports on the NVR, or does the switch connect to the network?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The switch connects to the WAN/LAN of the NVR. And the total number of cameras cannot exceed the channels the NVR is rated for (ie cannot put 9 cameras on a 8 channel NVR).

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OK, so then are the cameras on the switch assigned an IP address on the default gateway i.e. 192.168.200.xxx instead of the address assignment of the cameras connected directly to the NVR i.e. 192.168.254.xxx?

The NVR's lan port is currently connected to my network. If I connect the switch to this port how will I be able to access the NVR via a web browser? The NVR has to have network interface as I remotely access using a VPN?

I know this should be simple stuff..........................thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You can make the IP address anything if it's an unmanaged switch. Would recommend and address not the same subnet as your internet.

You connect your internet cable going to the NVR into the switch and then a cable from the switch to the NVR where you had the internet connected to.