Basic Turret Camera Mounting Questions

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've purchased Dahua turret cameras that are going to be mounted to wood (or possibly fake wood) soffits. I don't care if the hole is big enough for the waterproof ethernet connector to push up into the attic.

1. With this information, is there any good reason to add the Dahua PFA130-E waterproof junction box? I'm not going to coil cable in the box.
2. I keep seeing pictures on this website of mounted cameras, with or without junction boxes, and no evidence of silicon caulking. Is there no need to caulk where the camera or junction box touches the soffit? Is there no need to caulk between the camera and the junction box?
3. The base of the camera has a little side hole that can be used for an exiting surface mounted cable. My camera came with no insert to cover this opening. Should I plug that at least with silicon, or does it not matter?

Thanks!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The mounting box is an option some use and some don't. Just be sure to use a self amalgamating tape, like Coax Seal, along with a few layers of quality electrical tape like 33+ or better. It's also a good idea to get some dielectric grease an put a small dab on the male RJ prior to plugging it in to the female RJ on the camera. This is true even for a connection in an eave. Moisture can get into anything that is exposed to changing temps and outside air. I usually plug the side hole with a little plug of Duct Seal to help keep bugs out and I've had to do the same with the slot left between the camera and housing to keep wasps out. Duct Seal is nice because it stays pliable for years and can be removed neatly and easily. Its' only downside is that it's industrial grey colored.

bababouy

Known around here
Reaction score
The main purpose for using a junction box is when you need a place to hide the connection. If you can tuck the connection into your soffit, the box isn't needed. I use a junction box sometimes if I want to lower the camera so that you can see past a sloping overhang. I also use them if I am mounting a camera on concrete or brick and I don't want to drill a 1" hole. You can drill a 1/4 or 3/8 hole for just the wire and stuff the pigtail and connection in the junction box.