Beginner - I have selected, the camera, what else (DVR, NVR ? etc)

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi all

From another thread, Dahua was recommended to me for outdoor security cameras at my house. Currently renovating and thought it would be a good opportunity. I am routing CAT6 cable so I can run the cameras (probably 2, maybe 3 external camers) PoE.

Here is the camera I am going for, a 2MP Dahua Starlight Eyeball camera.

Online Shop IPC-HDW5231R-Z IPC-HDW5231R-Z/S2 Dahua 2MP WDR IR Eyeball IP Camera 2.7mm-12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera | Aliexpress Mobile

So, apart from the CAT6 cable, I obviously need DVR/NVR, a network switch etc.

Bearing in mind that I am new, would some experienced person please be willing to provide a shopping list for me? I understand that it would be recommended to stick with the same brand for an NVR/DVR (by the way, i am not sure which to pick - DVR or NVR).

Thanks

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi all

From another thread, Dahua was recommended to me for outdoor security cameras at my house. Currently renovating and thought it would be a good opportunity. I am routing CAT6 cable so I can run the cameras (probably 2, maybe 3 external camers) PoE.

Here is the camera I am going for, a 2MP Dahua Starlight Eyeball camera.

Online Shop IPC-HDW5231R-Z IPC-HDW5231R-Z/S2 Dahua 2MP WDR IR Eyeball IP Camera 2.7mm-12mm motorized lens Starlight Network Camera | Aliexpress Mobile

So, apart from the CAT6 cable, I obviously need DVR/NVR, a network switch etc.

Bearing in mind that I am new, would some experienced person please be willing to provide a shopping list for me? I understand that it would be recommended to stick with the same brand for an NVR/DVR (by the way, i am not sure which to pick - DVR or NVR).

Thanks
You need a NVR - Network Video Recorder
Look for a Dahua NVR with POE built in

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
"DVR" usually refers to type that analog cameras plug in to, but is sometimes used interchangeably with "NVR". There are actually hybrid DVR/NVR boxes out there for people trying to make a slow transition from analog to IP.

Anyway, when you get your cat6 cable, make sure it uses solid copper wire, not stranded and not CCA (copper-clad aluminum).

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum!

If renovating, install more wires than you currently think you need. Wire is cheap, compared to installing it later.
Pick your location for the NVR.
- Not a bedroom, the NVR has a fan and some find it's loud for them.
- Run homerun cables to the NVR's location from the future camera locations.
DO NOT rely on the camera's Motion Detect feature for use outdoors.
- Too many false alarms from moving shrubs, leaves, shadows, etc.
- And don't use MD to start recording by the NVR. Many folks record 24/7.
Decide what sensors you may need.
- PIR is superior to MD
- PIR + Radar is even better. Bosch TriTec gets good reviews.
- Consider cameras with "Intelligent Video Surveillance" capabilities. The "Tripwire", "Intrusion Zone", etc features may be useful, depending on your site.
Decide if you want audio. Some find it useful for the front door.
- Recording audio has different rules & regs. It may not be allowed in your town.
- A seperate external mic works well. Usually better than a cam with integrated mic.
Don't skimp on the number of camera channels the NVR can support. The price difference is small.
Put thought into camera lens size.
- Get familiar w/ FOV vs lens.
- Here's a good lens calculator. Camera Calculator / Design Software Google Maps based, you can enter your home address. You can draw FOV or enter lens size. The tool will provide ppf and give you an idea of how clear distant objects will be. (mailbox, your parked cars, end of driveway, etc)
- Avoid a common mistake of going for wide FOV (too see more), because the objects of interest (trespasser) will have less detail.
- Some say a 2.8mm lens for an exterior cameras is a mistake.
Avoid mix-n-match. It's easier to stick with one vendor.
Since you're new to this, consider buying from a reputable in-country distributor. You'll pay more, but you'll get much better support and better warranty. Buying direct from China (eg: aliexpress) has pitfalls. Go into this eyes-open.
You don't need to buy all the cameras at once. Get up the learning curve, check what your application needs. Then later you can skillfully choose additional cameras. The varieties can be staggering...

Enjoy, have fun!
Fastb