Best way to delete a camera- POE NVR

Shockwave199

Known around here
Reaction score
So I want to change out a camera. Is the best practice to- in remote screen delete the camera channel. Turn NVR off. Swap out camera for the new one. Turn NVR back on. Would this be the more reliable way than say, just swap them out while everything is up and running?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I just did it twice after reading this.

Unplug camera, plugin new camera in same port. Wait 3 min- recognizes new camera with same IP as the port determines IP

Trax95008

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No need to turn off the NVR. I wouldn't say "port determines IP"... its just a network switch. (ok, managed switch) but still, that doesn't determine anything. The channels are NOT assigned to ports. Any unused channel that is set to "plug and play" could grab onto that new camera regardless of which port it is plugged into. If you want any kind of control over which cameras are assigned to which channels will require you to set the channel to "manual" and then set each camera to a corresponding IP address. If your NVR is full, then your new camera will be assigned to the newly unused channel

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with your description, but If I plug a camera into port #1 and is assigns lets say 10.1.1.65 and I unplug it and plug in 3 more cameras into port#1 individually one at a time, the NVR will assign 10.1.1.65 to each one of them that uses that port. Same with the other ports, each port seems to be binding to a specific 10.1.1x IP

Last edited: