Best way to have 360 coverage surveillance of a backyard.

scoops33

n3wb
Reaction score
camera placement back garden(1).jpg

A brief context, this is the backyard of our new house and we are looking to have 24/7 surveillance. As cat crazies we have about 20 cats that are to be housed in the backyard, walls are about 9ft high.

Our objectives are in order of priority:

1. Detect if cats scale the walls or facade of the extension/outhouse.
2. Trying to see where the cats are in the garden
3. Potential intruder (animals or humans) surveillance

I am looking to run 24/7 surveillance recording with a retainment of two weeks at least. Also coupling with a Frigate installation for object detection.

The garden will be lighted with solar powered lamps and the perimeters have solar powered wall lights.

The plan right now is 6 x HikVision 2087s bullets or 2387 domes (Dahua is not easily available in my location).

Would there be a better way to do surveillance of this area? Like 4 x 2087s in the middle, but the tree might create a blind spot.

Also, to cover the whole property, I will need about 15 cameras. Estimated disk usage for 4MP capture 24/7 two weeks is about 18TB according to an online calculator... It's quite hefty, and any ideas for system optimisation?

Thanks in advance!

scoops33

n3wb
Reaction score
To add, I can always increase the lighting in the garden. The Dahua 5442s would be nice but it's really almost impossible to procure, and if I were to procure the 2087/2387s are about 30% cheaper.

EDIT: Walls have cat proof fencing installed, so surveillance is really for additional peace of mind.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Consider at least one dual lens panoramic camera if you can find them in your region. They do a fantastic job of wide angle overview. Here's an example: NightChromaTM NCD800 – 4K Outdoor Panoramic PoE Dual Lens Security Camera, f/1.0 Super Aperture (0.0005 Lux), Acme Color Night Vision, Active Siren and Strobe, Human & Vehicle Detection, Intelligent Behavior Analysis, Two-Way Audio It is made by Hikvision so you may be able to find it or similar cams under other brand names or Hikvision's own brand.

scoops33

n3wb
Reaction score
Consider at least one dual lens panoramic camera if you can find them in your region. They do a fantastic job of wide angle overview. Here's an example: NightChromaTM NCD800 – 4K Outdoor Panoramic PoE Dual Lens Security Camera, f/1.0 Super Aperture (0.0005 Lux), Acme Color Night Vision, Active Siren and Strobe, Human & Vehicle Detection, Intelligent Behavior Analysis, Two-Way Audio It is made by Hikvision so you may be able to find it or similar cams under other brand names or Hikvision's own brand.
thanks! I did find the Hikvision 2387g2p panoramic cam, which appears to be two 2347s bolted on together. That’ll help in reducing the number of cams. Appreciate your advise.