Best way to setup entrance cameras for 5 seperate buildings?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What is the best way to setup entrance cameras for 5 seperate buildings?

I am thinking a POE switch in each building connected to a camera with onboard storage do to the extra cost of 5 separate NVRS. Open to all suggestions though!

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
From a management standpoint and to simplify monitoring, and given the distances between buildings, I'd use dedicated WiFi links to a central location. The video stream, either with all cams or just the appropriate cam, could be streamed back to each building for "on site" monitoring on those same links. Just my two cents worth.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
From a management standpoint and to simplify monitoring, and given the distances between buildings, I'd use dedicated WiFi links to a central location. The video stream, either with all cams or just the appropriate cam, could be streamed back to each building for "on site" monitoring on those same links. Just my two cents worth.
You don't think that the buildings are too far apart for reliable wifi?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Not if you use something like a Ubiquity Nano Station Loco. They're good for about a mile an a half, minimum. They cost about $70for a set of two but are worth the cost IMHO.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^ regarding Ubiquiti NanoStation variants.

Assuming LOS (Line of Sight) is as good as it appears and that the building at upper left is where the NVR is, you could place there one radio with an omni-directional antenna on the corner or roof that can "see" the other buildings, at those other 4 buildings place the NS or NS Loco AC radio (using their built-in directional antenna) where they can "see" the omni and configure as
airMAX - Configure a Point-to-Multipoint (PtMP) ISP-Style Access Point

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks guys, the guy also mentioned today that each unit has a separate utility closet with its own internet/wifi. Maybe utilizing each separate wifi for each camera would be the way to go?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, don't use wifi cameras!
What do you suggest? Run a POE box off each buildings router and hardwire the cameras?

Or do these Ubiquiti NanoStations have built in POE to run a standard POE camera off of??

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming you only want 1 or 2 cameras per building, what I would do is get a PoE switch for each building: or
Choose appropriate wired cameras for each location and install them, running the network cable back to each building's PoE switch.

Then in order to aggregate all the video feeds in one place and record them, I'd put an NVR or Blue Iris PC at one of the locations. If you have very fast internet (100+ Mbps upload) at all the buildings, then you could do a VPN between locations and just feed the video over the internet using this VPN. But you probably don't have that, which is where the Ubiquiti radios come in. Two Ubiquiti radios with direct line of sight to each other creates a very stable and reasonably fast network link, almost like having a network cable stretched out through the air. Fiber optics would be better, but a radio link like this is a whole lot easier and cheaper.

One possible radio network design is to have a tower with line of sight to all locations, and link all the buildings to one radio on that tower, almost like you were running a miniature wireless internet service provider. That "tower" could just be a pole on the roof of one of the buildings with an omnidirectional antenna and a Rocket 5 AC Lite for the radio. Nanostation Loco5AC for each of the other buildings.

PoE pass-through is possible using the latest NanoStation NS-5AC (full-size model, not the smaller "Loco5AC" version) which supports standard 802.3af PoE and has a pass-through port where you can attach a camera directly to it. If using this, it is important to use a standard PoE injector or switch to power the radio, because the pass-through port will have the same voltage as the power source. The 24 volt non-standard injector that Ubiquiti typically includes in the box won't provide power that is compatible with a camera. Myself personally, I would rather just run a separate cable and not mess around with the pass-through port which may not still be a feature when the time comes for a hardware upgrade.

Anyway one Loco5AC (without pass-through port) is about $50 USD: Amazon.com: Ubiquiti NanoStation 5AC Loco, 5 GHz airMAX ac CPE with Dedicated Wi-Fi Management (Loco5AC-US): Computers & Accessories Plus these cheap models don't support standard PoE and they don't come with a power source at all so you need a 24v Ubiquiti PoE injector to power each one for around $12.70.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
To be clear, if using Ubiquiti radios to link the buildings together, you would NOT be connecting any of the PoE switches to internet routers in each building. Your camera network would span all the buildings and the last thing you want to do is have more than one internet router trying to take ownership of the same devices.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd look into what sort of internet service they have for the complex. if they have internet in all 5 locations, and it's some sort of 'business' type account for all of them (vs 5 separate accounts), the traffic between them may not be billed, in which case there's no need for the wi-fi links between buildings. They may even already have run ethernet between the buildings, in which case, you're golden...

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I should have mentioned that the local internet provider servicing those buildings might be able to help. However if I know internet providers like I think I do, they will want to call it specialized network services or something and charge a hefty monthly sum for what basically amounts to a LAN between the buildings.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
a monthly charge for an ethernet between the routers and some static routes to the other rfc-1918 lans? i guess they get away with what they can...

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Assuming you only want 1 or 2 cameras per building, what I would do is get a PoE switch for each building: or
Choose appropriate wired cameras for each location and install them, running the network cable back to each building's PoE switch.

Then in order to aggregate all the video feeds in one place and record them, I'd put an NVR or Blue Iris PC at one of the locations. If you have very fast internet (100+ Mbps upload) at all the buildings, then you could do a VPN between locations and just feed the video over the internet using this VPN. But you probably don't have that, which is where the Ubiquiti radios come in. Two Ubiquiti radios with direct line of sight to each other creates a very stable and reasonably fast network link, almost like having a network cable stretched out through the air. Fiber optics would be better, but a radio link like this is a whole lot easier and cheaper.

One possible radio network design is to have a tower with line of sight to all locations, and link all the buildings to one radio on that tower, almost like you were running a miniature wireless internet service provider. That "tower" could just be a pole on the roof of one of the buildings with an omnidirectional antenna and a Rocket 5 AC Lite for the radio. Nanostation Loco5AC for each of the other buildings.

PoE pass-through is possible using the latest NanoStation NS-5AC (full-size model, not the smaller "Loco5AC" version) which supports standard 802.3af PoE and has a pass-through port where you can attach a camera directly to it. If using this, it is important to use a standard PoE injector or switch to power the radio, because the pass-through port will have the same voltage as the power source. The 24 volt non-standard injector that Ubiquiti typically includes in the box won't provide power that is compatible with a camera. Myself personally, I would rather just run a separate cable and not mess around with the pass-through port which may not still be a feature when the time comes for a hardware upgrade.

Anyway one Loco5AC (without pass-through port) is about $50 USD: Amazon.com: Ubiquiti NanoStation 5AC Loco, 5 GHz airMAX ac CPE with Dedicated Wi-Fi Management (Loco5AC-US): Computers & Accessories Plus these cheap models don't support standard PoE and they don't come with a power source at all so you need a 24v Ubiquiti PoE injector to power each one for around $12.70.

Ok I get it now. Thank you for for the explanation @bp2008 :)

Where these are condos "owned" by individuals and the Ubiquiti NanoStations have to be in line of one another, I'm wondering if that's going to be possible as I would most likely have to mount them in owners of the individual condos windows. If all of the entrances faced each other, it would be ideal.

I'd look into what sort of internet service they have for the complex. if they have internet in all 5 locations, and it's some sort of 'business' type account for all of them (vs 5 separate accounts), the traffic between them may not be billed, in which case there's no need for the wi-fi links between buildings. They may even already have run ethernet between the buildings, in which case, you're golden...
I did ask if the networks of each building were separate of one single network and he stated they were indeed separate unfortunately. I will look into a single network solution through the local ISP.

If that's not an option, I'm wondering if a seperate NVR at each location might be the best solution given the situation.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.