BI 4.8.6.3 and network upload speed hog of around 5mbps?

markm75

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm running BI and it seems if i use network monitoring tools on windows 10 x64 to monitor things, that its using around 5 mbps.

I'm not sure why, i dont recall it being this hog resource intensive before and nothing has changed.

I have one ip camera and the rest on bnc connections, 7 or so total cameras.

Is there something i can look at in settings to see where the total bandwidth is coming from? Viewing each camera "properties" i'm not seeing anything unusual, at least not in a spot check or two (usually around 145 Kbps

Any suggestions

thanks in advance

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
All the relevant numbers are in the Blue Iris Status panel, but can be confusing if you don't understand how to identify and convert the units.

On the "Cameras" tab you can get the bit rate of each camera -- this is the amount of data Blue Iris is downloading from the camera. The unit used here is kilobytes per second (kB/s or KB/s means kilobytes per second). Divide by 125 to get Mbps (megabits per second).

On the "Connections" tab you can see any web server sessions and approximately how much bandwidth they are using. Each of these is "upload" usage. The unit used here is different. This time it is kilobits per second (kbps or Kbps means kilobits per second). Divide by 1000 to get Mbps.

By the way, 5 Mbps is not unusual for one IP camera, so it is probably nothing to worry about.

markm75

n3wb
Reaction score
All the relevant numbers are in the Blue Iris Status panel, but can be confusing if you don't understand how to identify and convert the units.

On the "Cameras" tab you can get the bit rate of each camera -- this is the amount of data Blue Iris is downloading from the camera. The unit used here is kilobytes per second (kB/s or KB/s means kilobytes per second). Divide by 125 to get Mbps (megabits per second).

On the "Connections" tab you can see any web server sessions and approximately how much bandwidth they are using. Each of these is "upload" usage. The unit used here is different. This time it is kilobits per second (kbps or Kbps means kilobits per second). Divide by 1000 to get Mbps.

By the way, 5 Mbps is not unusual for one IP camera, so it is probably nothing to worry about.
Yeah in the status panel they are an avg of 145 KB/sec, so over 8 cameras thats roughly 1.16 mbps

(i'm trying to figure out on my internet connection, where some of my upload is disappearing to, i thought it was blue iris based on windows 10 network monitoring).. i should have 5 mbps if nothing else going on, i seem to have 3 (no active connections to cameras or streaming on the network)
I looked in the connections tab and there is nothing going on there.

Perhaps the windows resource monitor view is really only showing local traffic not actual "internet" upload being used, i should probably look into another means of figuring that out if so.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Windows resource monitor shows all network traffic entering or leaving the network adapter. That includes local traffic and internet traffic together. The only place you can measure internet traffic separately is in your router. See if your router has any kind of bandwidth monitoring functionality.