BI bogging down after being busy

quest100

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Most of your initial problem of maxing out on motion was related to the use of limit decoding, you should not be using that option.
make sure that onvif is setup correctly in the cam and BI and that you are using the onvif login
I removed limit decoding from all cameras and plan to keep it off. It was on only for cameras that used only ONVIF triggers and not BI's motion detection, only ONVIF triggers. The only difference I see is the quiescent load in BI went from around 3-5% up to 7-10%. Small enough not to matter and pretty much what I would expect - slightly more decoding producing more CPU usage. Not seeing any noticeable difference when cars drive by or people walk by.

Is this what I should expect? If not, what difference should I expect and why? I am going to leave limit decoding off - you have much more experience with BI than I do so that seems safest. If it matters, I am running BI as a service and viewing via a second instance of BI on the same PC run as an administrator. No external viewing ever.

I believe I have all cameras setup with just a single admin account and no separate ONVIF account. I will double check in a few days.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm sure the camera automatically compresses the footage. In my system I have the camera set to 16,000kbs but inspecting the stream in BI shows a data rate of around 2,000kbs (from memory I think it was compressing around 8:1). As there's nothing between the camera and BI it can only be the camera compressing via it's codec, in my case h264. You don't need to limit data rate therefore as your codec selection in the camera will have an influence on the data rate anyway and it will be massively less than what was recorded raw. I highly doubt BI has anything to do with the compression unless you chose to recompress it in BI, which you should not do (every compression loses information and thus quality) and it's not necessary with the stream already so small. I'd guess your stream in will be much smaller than mine given I have a very high data rate set for raw. 7-10% is about what I''d expect to see on a CPU like a i7-7700.