BI High CPU Util

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have a Ryzen 3 1200 setup that I'm using with two 4K cameras and three 2k cameras. I was having a CPU utilization issue as it's just a quad core so I added a 1050ti that I had lying around and enabled the NVDEC hardware decode and I set up DeepStack GPU and it's been great. I never have CPU go above 12-15%. Well it's about a week later and I notice my CPU is getting hammered. It's hovering around 70%. Checked Task Manager to make sure it was BI and it is. I checked Deep Stack and it's still working on the GPU so BI still sees the GPU I presume. I went and manually changed all cameras from default to NVDEC. I had already set up sub streams and enabled direct to disk recording so I cannot figure out why it would be annihilating my CPU like it is because it shouldn't be using it other than running the UI. If anyone has any ideas, I'm just at a loss. It's Windows Server 2022. I have 16GB of ECC and it's hovering around 50% usage if that matter. Also I have tried disabling all five cameras in BI and I'm still seeing 45 to 50% CPU utilization even with all cameras disabled.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
With substreams, hardware acceleration isn't needed.

In fact, some have seen the CPU% needed to offload the video to the GPU is more than the savings, so try turning hardware acceleration off.

Reaction score
Thanks guys. So I was on 5.5.6.11 so I rolled back to 5.5.5.13 but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. But I didn't realize that was the latest stable. I see in updates where it says that. I had it set to the latest update but I would prefer stable vs newer so I'm going to keep it there. I also disabled HW acceleration on all cameras and it didn't improve anything but you were right as it didn't make it worse either so I didn't realize I didn't need the HW acceleration with sub streams.