BI, Setting a camera's default gateway, DNS and camera NIC questions

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Sooner or later I'll be getting my BI PC set up with its 2 NICs.
No camera needs DNS configured, correct?
No camera needs a default gateway set, correct?

With my Hikvision cameras it looks like I can leave the default gateway blank.
With my Dahua camera, blank 0.0.0.0 isn't acceptable. It will allow 1.0.0.1. Would this be acceptable or should I set something else?

During a transition phase I'll like to have both my Hikvision NVR, and BI PC running at the same time. My network switches, cables etc.allow for this.
The Hikvision camera NIC's gateway is on 192.168.XXX.1.
With the BI PC, I assume I have to choose a different default gateway for the BI's camera NIC, say 192.168.XXX.100, and certainly not 192.168.XXX.1?

Basic questions I know, nevertheless I would appreciate some advice.

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My update today, I've got my BI PC setup and my 5 cameras configured on BI initially, I'll add that Blue Iris seems brilliant.
There was no need for the cameras' DNS to be set.
There was no need for the cameras' default gateway to be set, or for that matter on my W10 PC camera NIC's Properies pci card, except, for the BI PC cameras NIC I chose 192.168.XXX.100, my Hikvision camera NIC is on 192.168.XXX.1, if I remember correctly.
Currently I'm running a Hikvision NVR and my BI PC on the LAN. I've more options with BI that I currently know what to do with!

My thanks to all concerned.

Millstone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For the cameras choose whatever you want for the default gateway, just in the same subnet.

You wouldn't choose a default gateway in Windows on the camera interface typically, so leave it blank.