BI Storage Issues + moving .bvr files to new location

Covy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
On my Blue Iris system, I have been trying to set up the storage, but have made errors previously where I didn't have enough storage to complete more than 12 hours at a time. Not ideal when your kids slip out in the evenings on occasion :) I did fix that, but I did it relatively quickly and now I need to make a permanent solution. My current NAS (UNRAID) is storing the BI .bvr files after they are moved from the New folder. I would like to move that to my Synology Diskstation. Here is how the current system is set up:

Database Path: E:\BI\db
New Folder: E:\BI\New
Stored Folder: E:\BI\Stored
Alerts Folder: E:\BI\Alerts
NAS Folder: \\unraid.local\BI

1688739912418.png

1688739932714.png

1688739950906.png

1688739970986.png

I'm not even convinced I set this up properly anyway since I did it so quickly. Regardless, I want to:

1. Set it up properly from a folder perspective
  2. Move the files to my Synology NAS, if possible (otherwise I will just delete them and start over)

Can anyone help me understand this better so that I can get this thing set up correctly?

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
What is the E: drive? The BI DB should be on a fast local drive, so for example I have a local SSD C: onto which Windows, BI and the BI DB are configured.

How exactly do you use New and Stored? Seems odd to move them both to the NAS and even stranger is you are limiting by age given that Stored is only allocated 30Gb? Is the allocated storage amount ever likely to get to that age limit especially for Stored?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Typical setup obviously is to have New on a large disk. (and autotracking PTZ's on their Bedroom windows with Phasers on Stun. )
Is their a hardware limitation that prevents you from having " NEW" on a large platter?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
New and Stored should not be on the same drive - that is just wasting CPU% and killing the drive faster.

No idea your setup, but 650GB and 30GB is not a lot of storage.

The MOVE option is an either/or situation, so it will move whichever it hits first - the GB or number of days.

Covy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is the E: drive? The BI DB should be on a fast local drive, so for example I have a local SSD C: onto which Windows, BI and the BI DB are configured.

How exactly do you use New and Stored? Seems odd to move them both to the NAS and even stranger is you are limiting by age given that Stored is only allocated 30Gb? Is the allocated storage amount ever likely to get to that age limit especially for Stored?
E: drive is local

I really have no idea how I use New and Stored :) Like I mentioned - I really just want one location for the temporary (1-2 day videos) and then another location for the historical stuff (0-30 day, probably). My original thought was have new stuff for 2 days like the image shows and then move it to the NAS. I had no idea Stored/Alerts folders would do anything. I assumed they would be bypassed. Stored has nothing in it. Alerts has only JPG and TMP

Covy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Typical setup obviously is to have New on a large disk. (and autotracking PTZ's on their Bedroom windows with Phasers on Stun. )
Is their a hardware limitation that prevents you from having " NEW" on a large platter?
The main BI server is a VM on an ESXi server. I don't have unlimited storage there - hence moving the rest to the NAS.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
So is the E: drive an SSD? If it isn’t and you have a C: which is then the BI DB should be moved onto the SSD.

If you don’t use Stored set it to 0.

For New disable the option to limit by age and let BI manage the space based upon the allocated space.

As pointed out above 650Gb is hardly any space at all. I can see people opting to move stuff to their NAS, I too have a NAS with 18Tb of storage but I prefer to keep my BI PC sort of self contained so have spinning disks installed onto which the clips are stored.

Covy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So is the E: drive an SSD? If it isn’t and you have a C: which is then the BI DB should be moved onto the SSD.

If you don’t use Stored set it to 0.

For New disable the option to limit by age and let BI manage the space based upon the allocated space.

As pointed out above 650Gb is hardly any space at all. I can see people opting to move stuff to their NAS, I too have a NAS with 18Tb of storage but I prefer to keep my BI PC sort of self contained so have spinning disks installed onto which the clips are stored.
It is a VM with a C drive and E drive (both on same SSD on the ESXi host). I think I will eventually try to get to some spinnys there, but for now I have to do something. Money isn't limitless right now (partially because I just bought a shit-ton of networking equipment and cameras)