BI vs Milestone vs Sighthound for 1 webcam

camalot

n3wb
Reaction score
I plan to only use 1 camera (Logitech USB HD webcam). Motion detection and recording. Sometimes constant recording. All of this on a Windows PC, with easy control of enabling and disabling the system (it won't be a 24/7 system - basically monitor when not home). Mobile control and alerts are a plus.

Obviously this is non-standard relative to most users here. Most people here use many cameras and have a dedicated system 24/7. So for those users, BI is significantly cheaper than the alternatives. Since I'll be using only 1 camera, BI is $30, Milestone XProtect seems to be free, Sighthound is $60 (for HD resolution), so the price differences aren't huge and BI actually isn't the cheapest at this point. Any suggestions among these software choices and others?

Rocinante

n3wb
Reaction score
It depends on where and what you need to record. I have outdoor cameras, and I could never get BI's motion detection to stop its many false alerts with every cloud-sun-cloud transitions, the wind moving tree branches, and shadows. I went with Sighthound for its superior motion detection algorithm. The program and phone app are not as full-featured as BI's, but I just need to be alerted when someone is on my property. You can test free demos of each program before you make a decision.