Blank screen after Windows Update

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks!
I'll check that out.
I get MS wanting everyone to be as updated as possible which I'm sure avoids all kinds of support issues for outdated drivers and such but something about forcing it on me with supposedly no choice to control it strikes me as a bit too invasive.
It is. And of course, as it is with the default settings, it can force a restart when you're not even home!

Win 10 is the first MS O/S to my knowledge which makes updates mandatory. At some point, at YOUR convenience, it might be advisable to re-enable, go get 'important' or 'recommended' ones and allow installation. I've got all my W7 machines set to "download but allow me to choose whether to install" .

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I found a tool that is suppose to do just that, block updates. Its freeware and I cannot vouch for it but I did download the installer and did a scan on it and it was clear. I have not installed it and do NOT know what added goodies come with it. Proceed at your own risk.

Win Updates Disabler: Disable\Enable Windows Updates, Windows Defender, Security Center, Windows Firewall
Portable version very interesting....and MajorGeeks is a download spot so I might try it sometime (I've never had an issue with any of their downloads), though paying heed to the usual caveats.

Thanks!

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My Win 10 does not seem to have the decide which updates to install option. The only option I see by default is install when it wants or choose to install during certain time period, (pause option until X time)...but no choice as to IF they get installed outside of what you suggested with tweaking the service.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My Win 10 does not seem to have the decide which updates to install option. The only option I see by default is install when it wants or choose to install during certain time period, (pause option until X time)...but no choice as to IF they get installed outside of what you suggested with tweaking the service.
Using 'services.msc' as in my post #19 above will allow you to enable or disable Windows Updates altogether; not decide which type....it's all or none with that method.