Blue Iris Alexa alert integration

abby325

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there anyway to get Blue Iris to play a sound over Alxea like the mobile sound alerts or even better yet using the custom sounds file from the PC. I have Alexa connected to blue Iris where if I wanted to turn it off or move a camera I can. What I would like is be able to play a sound through my PC that broadcasts the sound to all the Alexa devices I have throughout the house. As a example I have a sound file that says "Alert driveway" and using zones to trigger it and I don't get any false alerts and woul like that to play throughout the house.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Would be great to have Alexa bark out an alert. The Blue Iris can play a sound on a PC, send a text or email, post to a webpage, etc. If there were a skill where Alexa would on its own speak out a text message or email from a particular sender then it might be feasible.

I'm looking over a skill named 'Notify Me':

About this Skill
Take control of your Alexa by sending it your _own_ notifications. This skill is perfect for people into home automation ("A leak has been detected in the laundry room"), home security ("Your garage door has been open for over an hour"), and many other creative uses you might think up ("It's Tuesday. Did you put out the trash?").

This is an admittedly nerdy skill for, well, nerds who are at least somewhat familiar using RESTful APIs.

To get started, just enable the skill, giving it permission to send notifications to your Alexa and linking it to your Amazon account so we can send a unique access code to the email address associated with that account. Next, just say, "Alexa, open Notify Me" and the skill will introduce itself and send your access code via email.

With your access code in hand, you are ready to go. Please visit www.notifymyecho.com for instructions on how to start "notifying" yourself!

Problems, questions, or compliments? Please contact us at info@notifymyecho.com

Another clever skill from www.thomptronics.com

Last edited:

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's their website with examples. I believe the Alexa notification API will play a sound and change the ring color to green, rather than automatically playing a voice alert, but am still looking: Notify Me - Thomptronics

Tested the skill, and yes, it does send notifications to Alexa from Blue Iris, and can then speak the message, but it has to be prompted to do so.

Here's the POST string which would be added into the camera's alert settings for 'Post to a web address':
https://api.notifymyecho.com/v1/NotifyMe?notification=Someone at the Door!&accessCode=[ACCESS_CODE] (Note: Spaces in the URL would have to have the standard [% and 20])

The Alexa device (I have a Dot) will play a sound, and the LED ring will glow yellow-green. Next you say: "Alexa, get notifications' or 'Alexa, open NotifyMe'. Then Alexa will speak the notification.

Last edited:

ewbragg

n3wb
Reaction score
the NotifyMe guys just sent an email out about Virtual Buttons that will Speak the alerts for you now.

Also, I just spent the weekend standing up a virtual machine that runs a command line script and hooked it to an Nginx webserver via a web API i'm working on. I Just had my first successful tests completed. I'm able to configure alerts to trigger a Web Request in Blue Iris to make calls to my virtual machine API and it then informs alexa to speak the message, either on one device, or all devices in the house (using everywhere group).

ie.

it then causes all my alexa devices in the house to speak. I've written it so it removes the %20 and replaces as spaces so it speaks properly. It's going to take me a couple of weeks to build a how-to-guide and instructions.

andycots

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the NotifyMe guys just sent an email out about Virtual Buttons that will Speak the alerts for you now.

Also, I just spent the weekend standing up a virtual machine that runs a command line script and hooked it to an Nginx webserver via a web API i'm working on. I Just had my first successful tests completed. I'm able to configure alerts to trigger a Web Request in Blue Iris to make calls to my virtual machine API and it then informs alexa to speak the message, either on one device, or all devices in the house (using everywhere group).

ie.

it then causes all my alexa devices in the house to speak. I've written it so it removes the %20 and replaces as spaces so it speaks properly. It's going to take me a couple of weeks to build a how-to-guide and instructions.
This sounds good, hope it's easy to set up though, not very computer savvy. Need 1, 2, 3 setups lol

Cheers