Blue Iris App Struggles To Connect Via WiFi, iOS 16

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did search but I didn’t find anything. Most likely I’m not using the right search terms.

Using the Blue Iris App, I used to be able to connect to my Blue Iris PC while on my LAN via Wi-Fi without enabling OpenVPN. It would connect and show cameras within a second or two. Now it struggles to connect, if at all. After 10 seconds or so, I get “Unable to make connection; check server address.” Maybe 1 out of 20 attempts is successful (It may be worse than that).

I have to enable OpenVPN before it will connect. Then it reliably connects.

My iPhone 13 is running iOS 16.0.3. I confirmed that it is connected to my Wi-Fi while at home.

Service is T-Mobile in case there’s an issue with that.

I’m using HTTP not HTTPS for LAN. I tried HTTPS but still does not work. I didn’t change any settings on the App login screen. Was and is HTTP for LAN, HTTPS for WAN.

I know the LAN address is correct because, I can connect to the BI PC from another PC using that LAN address, and it connects when OpenVPN is enabled.

Username and password are correct (it connects when OpenVPN is enabled).

I didn’t make any changes in Blue Iris other than upgrade to latest version 5.6.2.5 a couple of weeks ago. And just now updated to 5.6.3.1.

“Allow Blue Iris to Access Network” is enabled in my phone’s Wi-Fi settings.

I don’t look at my cameras on my phone very often so I can’t say when this problem started.

I just updated the Blue Iris App from the App Store to version 2.03.06, but it still struggles, now the fan blades spin and spin as it trys to log in but the error message “Unable to make connection; check server address” no longer shows up.

I see the latest BI App updates states “Additional minor fixes and adjustments for iOS16” So maybe they are working on it. 2.03.06

I just updated iOS from version 16.0.3 to 16.1. BI App still struggles/won’t connect without OpenVPN enabled.

Thoughts? Ideas?

I sent this to Blue Iris Support.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am having a similar issue, but for me, it seems to be tied to version 5.6.x of the BlueIris server. I am getting "Unable to make connection; check server address " whenever I try to access from my iPhone remotely. It works fine on my local network. I backed the server down to version 5.5.9.6, and it started working again. I opened a problem case which I understand is with the developer to fix.