Blue iris choppy on live view from browser and IOS after upgrading from 5.5.4.5

jwamsley07

n3wb
Reaction score
I run four different BI systems at our warehouses and one at my home. Each of the warehouses have over 30 cameras wiith one having 52 cameras and my home system having sixteen. 75% of the cameras are Amcrest 4+ MP cameras. All are using substream. I have been running on blue iris 5.5.4.5 x64 for a while with no problems, but wanted to take advantage of the timeline feature. So, I upgraded to 5.5.6.21. When doing this I noticed live viewing on Chrome, Edge or Brave went from the normal 7-8 fps to 0-1 fps and giving a "Detected HTML5 video player stall. Reopening video stream." message. It will then restart and go back to being choppy again. The cameras that are 1080P or greater are all having this stuttering problem. I have a few 720P and they are not having the issue.
When I am on the Blue Iris console I am not seeing the same skipping/choppy issue. Only when viewing from the browser or the app on IOS. I have tried several different PCs with different browsers, all with the same result. Interesting part is when doing playback on those same cameras that are choppy during live view, the playback is fine. I just tried eliminating substream from the Network IP camera configuration setting in Blue Iris for one of the cameras and that fixed the problem. Works like a charm. The others that still have substream are still stuttering. Removing substream from all the cameras would kill the machine however. The average CPU usage on the machines are between 25-45%. I also tried going to 5.5.7.5 with similar results. Going back to 5.5.4.5 resolves all the issues. The PCs are all Dell optiplex, I7, 32GB ram, 1TB SSD with additional storage for clips. No additional video cards.

I have opened a ticket with Blue Iris but thought somebody here had an idea what to try.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you have substreams properly configured on the cameras?
Running that ver here, with no issue's, but I only have 14 cams.

jwamsley07

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you have substreams properly configured on the cameras?
Running that ver here, with no issue's, but I only have 14 cams.

I've checked on the substreams and it appears they are setup correctly. I'm also fairly sure its not related to network congestion.
I changed a couple of the 4 and 8MP cameras from CBR and VBR and it isn't perfect but much better. It is no longer timing out when live viewing from the browser or iphone now. It bounces between 4-8 fps instead of 0-2. Playback is still perfect from all cameras from IOS or browser. Something to do with substream since playback is primary stream. I am getting a 4MP camera that isn't Amcrest in tomorrow to test if this is unique to Amcrest cameras. All of the non-Amcrest cameras installed now are 1.2MP and not having problems. Just sent log files in to support, so hopefully they will have be able to figure this one out.

har2371boe

n3wb
Reaction score
I am experiencing the exact same issues. Will try rolling back to earlier version to see if that fixes it. Curious to hear if another fix is identified.

jwamsley07

n3wb
Reaction score
Here is what I had to do to fix it for all the warehouses and my home setup. I typically run cameras at 7 fps, some even 5 fps. I noticed that one of my cameras that was at 10 fps was running mostly fine. So, for all the cameras that were 1080P or higher resolution using substream I had to end up changing them to at least 8 fps in both the main and substream, some 10fps. Around 100 cameras in total, ouch! That seemed to make it better with the rest of the settings the same. If I want the live stream to lock up in the browser or IOS app almost completely, I set the camera back to 5 fps, does it ever time for me. I did change my cameras to H.265 and VBR from H.264 and CBR just because the one that was working had those settings. Not sure if that mattered or not.

I have submitted all of this to support.