Blue Iris computer poof in the middle of the night - any ideas what happened?

ipcdal

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Crashed again today on 5.7.6.8, database corrupted again... now considering drastic measures. I'm thinking of a complete system wipe and/or setting up a different computer as my last attempt on this, and then after that, if it happens even one more time, I will likely just give up. I can't keep dealing with this.

Cgy-User

n3wb
Reaction score
I had this problem for a long time on a stable release of BI. I hadn’t updated in over a two year period.

Then my machine started to crash, almost exactly as you described. I ran hardware tests, all showed things were fine.

Although I did get things stable eventually, I’m not sure which item fixed my problem. I will post what I changed in hopes that maybe one of these items fits with you.

Firstly, Im running on an HP desk station. Windows 10.

I don‘t run any third party anti virus, and I don't run blueiris as a service.

I do use blueiristools to restart BI when the application crashes.

I also run deepstack.

At the time, BI wasn‘t reporting high CPU, however, I later noticed that deepstack was pinning the CPU for short moments. mostly when a camera triggered and the image needed to be analyzed.

after exhausting hardware tests, I decided to upgrade BI to the latest stable version, then, I thought, I could reach out to support. upgrading did not fix the problem, and after upgrading I noticed I was over subscribing my storage. and the db was on that same storage.

I focused on correcting that, moved my DB to my ssd, ( yes, i had moved it to an hdd where I was storing my recordings, moved alerts to ssd as well )

wiped out all my videos and rebuilt the database. BI had stopped cleaning up some old bvr recordings, and alerts, so i just thought a fresh start would be in order.

corrected the over allocation. However it will still be another 6 weeks before I fill up the recordings drive.

at around the time I did the above, hp pushed out a bios upgrade, I applied it, and rebooted, everything was fine, till that night at around 2 am, the machine lost access to its ethernet adapter.

ran some tests, etc, and came to the conclusion with HP support that the motherboard was to blame.

they arranged for a new motherboard, but before that came, I noticed that everytime I rebooted the system, there was a short 3 minute window when the system could access my LAN, and the internet, I figured that was odd, and for me, hinted at a software issue. Also around this time, because I wanted to make sure I had a recent backup, I checked synology backup manager to see when it last backed up. ( yes, I use synology active backup for business to backup my machines)

At this point I noticed backup manager was reporting that the backup agent on that host was out of date. I clicked to update it, thinking it would loose its network connectivity before completing, but no, it updated, and I started a backup.

The backup completed and the system remained stable.

since it took about a week for HP support to come out with the new motherboard, I left the machine running with BI happily working till they replaced the motherboard. No crashes during this time.

So, in the end, too many things changed to identify the true solution. The logical conclusion is that it was the motherboard, however, Im not convinced at this time. Since it may have been some interaction with synology backup agent and the BIOS upgrade, for all I know.

however, everything is working now, so, until it stops again…. Im going to leave well enough alone. Who knows, maybe it comes back when my recordings drive fills up… Or maybe the latency on the db being on an hdd instead of an ssd was to blame during high cpu events…

sorry, hopefully some part of this babble is helpful…

xGROMx

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had this same issue around the same time frame yours started. By looking at the system log files I found that gupdate was the last software that had an issue when the freeze happened. I had been hunting down this issue as you are for a while, I would look in the AM and find the system completely unresponsive and have to his reset on the machine. gupdate is part of chrome and google, I uninstalled chrome and anything google I could find and the issue stopped.

Look through your Computer Managment and view the system logs, look for the last programs with errors when the system failed.

Not sure why I hade Chrome installed at all, Firefox fan here and just one more reason to stay.

tbh

n3wb
Reaction score
Same problems I had a couple months ago, I ended up wiping the whole computer, reinstalling windows 10 and blue iris. Have not had a problem since. Sometimes its better to just start fresh rather then tear your hair out trying to find the stupid problem.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, my computer repair teacher said, for all the trouble trying to find whats wronf with Windows....ie. registry issues or user change issues, it only takes 45 minutes to reinstall windows ( 95) on Floppies LOL....