Blue Iris Lag / Time Sync

AGPharmD

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so thank you in advance. This site has already been a fantastic resource in setting up my system.

The problem I am experiencing is that there appears to be a lag on the cameras of anywhere from a couple seconds (seems like reasonable margin of error) up to 20-30 seconds (which is not).

I have 6 Amcrest IP3-956E dome cameras. 2 record continuously at 15fps/1920x1080, 2 trigger only at 15fps/1280x720, 2 at 10fps/1280x720. Recording is direct-to-disk on a dedicated i5 4570 w/8GB RAM. CPU utilization is generally ~23%. The time is overlayed by the cameras software.

My network setup is a UniFi USG + UniFi 24-port PoE switch + CloudKey + 9 WiFi access points. Cameras are on their own VLAN.

After playing with settings the only thing I can think of is that the lag is the result of the network equipment.

This network is for the clients and non-clinical staff of a residential treatment program. We have up to 28 clients living here (+ the personal devices of up to 5-6 staff at any given time). Everyone has a phone, most also have a computer, and there are a couple game consoles. In short, there can be a lot of devices connected at a time and the clients of course do a bunch of streaming.

Does it seem reasonable that the network equiptment would be causing the lag?

I’m looking at the EdgeRouter lite (+ a PoE switch and dual network cards in the PC). Will this have the performance required for up to 18-20 cameras? Is there anything I need to know about switch performance? I’m not concerned about remote network management or camera access. Any recommendations?