Blue Iris not storing recordings correctly

crowdx

n3wb
Reaction score
So I have a strange issue. For some reason Blue Iris is not assigning it's recordings correctly. It is filling up the main drive, even though the rule is set to leave 3tb free on the main drive and then move files to a 2nd drive. I have deleted the database and regenerated it several times but it is still overassigning the recordings on the main drive and it has not used the second drive at all.
Any thoughts on how to fix this?
Patrick

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I have a strange issue. For some reason Blue Iris is not assigning it's recordings correctly. It is filling up the main drive, even though the rule is set to leave 3tb free on the main drive and then move files to a 2nd drive. I have deleted the database and regenerated it several times but it is still overassigning the recordings on the main drive and it has not used the second drive at all.
Any thoughts on how to fix this?
Patrick
More info needed.
Please post screenshots of BI "settings" => "Clips and Archiving" for "New" and for "Stored" (or whatever names you have assigned to the drives and folders).

Are you getting the red over-allocation graphic? If so, please post a screenshot of that, found under BI "Status" => "Clip Storage" (Status is the graph icon at upper left)

crowdx

n3wb
Reaction score
This is the main storage for New Clips:
1696515519854.png
This is the settings for stored clips:
1696515690641.png
This is the Blue Iris Status showing the overallocation.
1696515771542.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You broke the number 1 rule of not having the files go to the name BI is expecting...renaming the New, Alerts, and Stored folders and now it could be all effed up.

From the help file:

By default, there are four folders configured to store recordings—Database, New, Stored, and
Alerts. More precisely, only New and Stored are used to store video files; the Database folder
hosts a series of .dat files which are used by the software to keep track of the other folders,
and the Alerts folder will remain empty unless you have asked for hi-res alert images on the
Record tab in camera settings. These folders should not be renamed. The Alerts folder may
not be used otherwise for direct recording, even if you rename it.

So there are 3 folders you cannot rename - Alerts, New, and Stored - According to your screenshots you renamed the folders they go to - they need to be Alerts, New, and Stored. It are the Aux that you can do renaming. Even though you renamed them, internally they are still Alerts, New, Stored and now they have nowhere to go or are going to wrong places.

Further, is your stored drive in the same box as the new? If so, it makes zero since to move files - wearing out the drives faster and using up CPU? Much better approach is to spread the cameras amongst the drives in the box so if/when a drive fails, you don't lose all your coverage.

You only move from NEW to STORED if it is going to a NAS. If it is the same drive or drives within the computer, it is best to split cameras across the drives.

And then also make sure that you don't have system restore turned on for those video drives as that will take up a chunk of space leading to over-allocation.

crowdx

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you so much, I will go ahead and rename the folders and look at assigning cameras across the two drives.
Patrick

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^^.
That was one of the reasons for the screenshots request...and then I had to go answer a LONG phone call.
But the Allstate "Good hands" guy has you fixed up....thx, @wittaj ! :cool:

crowdx

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again, I renamed the folders, consolidated the clips to the same folder and I deleted and regenerated the database for good measure. Fingers crossed everything looks good when finished. :)

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You only move from NEW to STORED if it is going to a NAS. If it is the same drive or drives within the computer, it is best to split cameras across the drives.
Hey @wittaj, is splitting cameras across drives as simple as choosing the correct dropdown folder in "Folder:" in the RECORD tab for the camera settings? I want to split mine up as you mention. Thanks.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey @wittaj, is splitting cameras across drives as simple as choosing the correct dropdown folder in "Folder:" in the RECORD tab for the camera settings? I want to split mine up as you mention. Thanks.
So you will want some of your cameras to go on a drive with a folder labeled NEW as that is what BI is looking for.

Then you rename an AUX folders to another name or simply keep them as AUX.

So best practice is to spread cameras from the same side of the house over multiple drives. So say you have a square house and 8 cameras - 2 cameras on each side of the house - and two HDDs - then put one camera from each side of the house on a drive so if a drive fails you still have coverage of each side of the house.

Some people have put all of the front on one drive and all of the back on another, but then when a drive fails, you lost coverage of the other side and that is when the perp decided to show up!

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you will want some of your cameras to go on a drive with a folder labeled NEW as that is what BI is looking for.

Then you rename an AUX folders to another name or simply keep them as AUX.

So best practice is to spread cameras from the same side of the house over multiple drives. So say you have a square house and 8 cameras - 2 cameras on each side of the house - and two HDDs - then put one camera from each side of the house on a drive so if a drive fails you still have coverage of each side of the house.

Some people have put all of the front on one drive and all of the back on another, but then when a drive fails, you lost coverage of the other side and that is when the perp decided to show up!
Thanks! I've split up my cameras and all seems to be working. Cheers