Blue Iris on unRAID Windows VM - to cache or not to cache?

lohita

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey Folks, first time posting here :) - I'm planning to run Blue Iris (just snagged a licence during the sale) in a Windows 10 Pro VM on my unRAID server. I'm thinking of setting it up similar to the below, with 4 x 4K 8 MP cameras

I'll have substreams configured for 480p 24x7 recording and 4K main stream for motion event recording. Now, given all this, would you guys recommend I use unRAID's caching for the share I setup to store all the Blue Iris output? Or is it not required?

Thanks!

kolbasz

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What do you consider the output, the saved video? Cache and the array are a waste for this. Instead, you are better served using an unassigned device. This keeps it independent of unraid. Otherwise, your protected pool and parity will go crazy always spinning up disks and your cache disk will need to be massive.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
There is no reason for caching. The writes will be steady and constant and relatively low amounts.

xm4rcell0x

n3wb
Reaction score
100% unassigned device.
W10 VM instead, cloud be on an spare SSD or cache.

bhunter

n3wb
Reaction score
I know this is a bit old but I am wonderingif you are saying. Host the machine on a cache drive and record to an unassigned drive or 2?