Blue Iris on VM

badandy996

n3wb
Reaction score

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I could be wrong (since I run BI on dedicated, bare metal) but I think a VM-based BI is better than any of the tiny PC's. The littles boxes have no room for a surveillance-rated HDD and can be hot boxes,.

The no graphics card is not big deal since later versions of BI capitalize on sub streams which in many cases has lowered CPU use more than hardware acceleration (like Intel's QuickSync).

More reading for you :cool:==>> site:ipcamtalk.com blue iris VM

badandy996

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been going through and searching ebay for decent computers but I can't help and feel purchasing an older 2-5 generation CPU for 300$+ w/ shipping or just spending $500 and getting something that would be way overkill, but peace of mind of something new and less likely breaking.

1699498057146.png

Reaction score
With substreams, Blue Iris runs in a VM with no problem at all. I currently have 2 installations running this way. If you do decide to run it on a PC, you def don't need the latest/greatest hardware. Again, substreams has taken the CPU requirements way down. Most of my installations are running on 6th - 8th gen i5 systems and run under 30% CPU, even the installation with over 20 cameras. eBay is your best bet for finding a good machine. You could spend around $300 and get something that will run your system for years to come.

badandy996

n3wb
Reaction score
With substreams, Blue Iris runs in a VM with no problem at all. I currently have 2 installations running this way. If you do decide to run it on a PC, you def don't need the latest/greatest hardware. Again, substreams has taken the CPU requirements way down. Most of my installations are running on 6th - 8th gen i5 systems and run under 30% CPU, even the installation with over 20 cameras. eBay is your best bet for finding a good machine. You could spend around $300 and get something that will run your system for years to come.
Thanks for the suggestion. My current server is Xeon processor therefore I am unable to use quick sync I believe is what it was called. I’ve provided 8 cores and it seems like I get really low fps when viewing from the web browser.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. My current server is Xeon processor therefore I am unable to use quick sync I believe is what it was called. I’ve provided 8 cores and it seems like I get really low fps when viewing from the web browser.
Is it OK on the console but not good when accessing UI3 on a browser?
If so, UI3's performance depends on settings of the "streaming profiles" and ideally using a Chromium-based browser.

badandy996

n3wb
Reaction score
Is it OK on the console but not good when accessing UI3 on a browser?
If so, UI3's performance depends on settings of the "streaming profiles" and ideally using a Chromium-based browser.
Its slow when using vnc to the machine. Code project ai takes forever to load and sometimes fails or will just stop working The cpu hovers around 20-30% when reviewing the clip but doesn’t look smooth. I will continue to do some more testing.