Blue Iris performance question

Reaction score
My company has an old (2013) Avigilon server that is the DVR for about 54 cameras. The CPU maybe hits 20% occasionally. The cameras are a combination of Avigilon and Bosch.
I built a server with 10X's the processor/memory. I installed Blue Iris and am using Direct-To-Disc recording. The cameras are using the same settings as when they went to the Avigilon server. Blue Iris is using about 80% of resources. I can't figure out why.

My question is... What is it about the Avigilon server that makes it so much more efficient than the Blue Iris? Does it have something to do with the Codecs? Is there a way I can modify it to be more efficient?

Thanks for any help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I suspect you are not using the substreams.

Do EVERY optimization in the wiki and you will see a major drop in the CPU. Substreams are a must, especially once you get over 4MP cameras.

A member here runs 50 cameras on a 4th generation CPU at 30%, so I am sure your better processor will result in better CPU %.

And by EVERY, I mean EVERY. Too many people come here complaining of high CPU usage and claim they have done every optimization in the wiki and once they post screenshots, we see they are not using the substreams and that is probably one of the biggest CPU savers. Do not skip one because you think it isn't important or won't make that big of a deal. Even dropping frame rate a few FPS can make a big difference. No reason to run more than 15FPS, and many us have cams running at 10 to 12 FPS.

If you do not understand what something does in BI, then ask. Too many people also change a setting not realizing what it does and actually makes their performance worse.

Please post a screenshot of your BI camera status page that shows FPS, MP/s, etc.

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
check the old setup in detail, i´m sure the avigilon cameras do the "heavy lifting" by themself. The in-camera motion detection was quite good and attached to the server software with their own proprietary protocol. Avigilon server had also support for nvidia pureview, we build many servers with the 2nd gen tesla and later quadro cards.

Reaction score
I suspect you are not using the substreams.

Do EVERY optimization in the wiki and you will see a major drop in the CPU. Substreams are a must, especially once you get over 4MP cameras.

A member here runs 50 cameras on a 4th generation CPU at 30%, so I am sure your better processor will result in better CPU %.

And by EVERY, I mean EVERY. Too many people come here complaining of high CPU usage and claim they have done every optimization in the wiki and once they post screenshots, we see they are not using the substreams and that is probably one of the biggest CPU savers. Do not skip one because you think it isn't important or won't make that big of a deal. Even dropping frame rate a few FPS can make a big difference. No reason to run more than 15FPS, and many us have cams running at 10 to 12 FPS.

If you do not understand what something does in BI, then ask. Too many people also change a setting not realizing what it does and actually makes their performance worse.

Please post a screenshot of your BI camera status page that shows FPS, MP/s, etc.

I was not using sub streams. I've finally have them all implemented and it is fantastic! Thank you so much.