Blue Iris POE night color-4 cameras under $1k

grega60438

n3wb
Reaction score
Blue Iris on PC (I7).
POE+ switch

I am thinking two cameras in the back and two cameras in the front outdoors.
50x50 foot back yard
50Wx30D foot front yard
Side yards are a driveway, as it is the Chicago area.

I already have multiple motion sensing LED lights. Automatically dimmed until motion sensed and then 250 watts (2650 lumens, 3k kelvin).
I am leaning towards the newer white LED night color cameras, because I already have bright lights. I ready the sticky, so leaning towards bullets and AI. But if you have a better idea, I listen. Compatibility with Blue Iris required. I have been reading up on some of the newer Dahua, but not fanboy driven yet.
Keeping the price for four cameras under $1k, which would you choose? (only cameras)

Thank you,
Grega60438

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am leaning towards the newer white LED night color cameras, because I already have bright lights.
If you're planning on running the LED lights on those cameras full-time at night (in addition to your bright motion lights), then I'd consider the Dahua 4MP Full-color Starlight+ model that @bp2008 recommend above. FWIW, that model will automatically switch to B/W if the light level drops low enough. Review of it below:

Hikvision has an equivalent model that a few forum folks are just now starting to get and review:

If you aren't going to have the camera's LED lights on full-time at night then I'd suggest looking at the 5442TM-AS Starlight+ models. They're basically the same as the Full-color model except that they have IR lights instead of LED. The IR should give you better image quality at night when the your motion lights haven't triggered, which may give you more useful video of someone moving around before their movement triggers the lights.
Review-OEM 4mp AI Cam IPC-T5442TM-AS Starlight+

There's a varifocal bullet version of the 5442TM-AS as well:
Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+

Varifocal can be very handy to zoom in tightener on an area to get the perfect coverage. With fixed-lens models (2.8mm, 3.6mm, 6mm) the width of the image "is what it is" and you may end up with extra width that you don't need. That isn't necessarily bad, but if you have the opportunity to "tighten it up", that'll usually give you an image with a higher PPF. The higher the PPF the more likely you are to be able to ID someone that you don't known.

If you haven't already played around with it, spend some time on the IPVM Camera Calculator V3. Type in your address, add a camera, select the brand, position it around your house, then move the little pointer dude around and check out the simulated image and the PPF value. Again, try to keep the PPF value at 100+ for distances at which you want to ID someone.

grega60438

n3wb
Reaction score
IPVM camera calculator was very helpful.
Ordered five of the IPC-B5442TM-ASE from Empire-Andy.
Four 56 degrees 6mm lens.
One 113 degrees 2.8mm lens, front porch.
It will be few weeks before everything ships, and I will let you know how it works out.