Blue Iris , Power Outage

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I got one of those APC models when it was on sale for $142 at amazon. Used it for about 1 month on my main PC but it had an annoying soft high pitched sound and electronic smell that never went away. My brother got one at the same time which wasn't quite as bad, so he still uses it. YMMV

I switched back to the cyberpower unit I was using before. I've had 6 or 8 of those so far and none that smelled or sounded like the APC.
No high pitched noise. I bought mine on sale also. But the electronic/plastic/chemical smell is there and disgusting for sure. I let it air out in the garage and it seemed to help. I put it back in the closet and it does still off-gas and you can smell it on hotter days. But that is expected as off-gassing normally happens at 70F.

My cyberpower did not have these issues or any smell. It is the one I use in open space without worrying about the plastic chemical smell.

Reaction score
crw030, if you place a computer at the remote location, your biggest problem might well be lightning strikes
Yeah, by remote location I mean computer recording cameras but both are 1000 miles away in another state! I'll put it on a UPS, just mostly worried about making sure it restarts from the inevitable power outage etc. I can also simultaneously record remotely just at lower FPS due to 10/3 at that location.

t_andersen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
pov2: You are right. If you need power on both sides, there is a bridge for the lightning. I guess the best solution for a camera at an outbuilding then is a pure fiber connection and a local power supply in the outbuilding. It would then not have UPS backup but that might be acceptable for a single cam.

crw030: What I meant was that (at least for me) it has been more difficult to protect the system against lightning than to make sure that I do not "loose" the computer connection to the mother ship. I have had a POE-supply virtually explode, and numerous fried units through the years.