Blue Iris server being used for something else?

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Seeing how we can really optimize the BI set up... Do you guys use your BI machine for anything else? If so, what use is it for and what are the key specs of your machine?

I'm potentially thinking of using the same server as a NAS of some kind for light data uploads from my household, especially when we're away from home... Anyone doing this?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Mine only runs BI and some other trivial servers. FTP, NTP, a bridge for home control, backup, little things like that.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I run BI in a VM. Dedicating an entire computer to BI is something I just can't do!

ProTapper

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mine only runs BI and some other trivial servers. FTP, NTP, a bridge for home control, backup, little things like that.
Thanks Mike... Will you be willing to guide me for a simple remote storage system I'm looking to do?

Yep, consider it like an NVR and you aren't running other stuff on it!

Some here do use their BI computer for other stuff, but I'd prefer it dedicated to my camera system.
Makes sense AJ... I can see the philosophy behind it...

I run BI in a VM. Dedicating an entire computer to BI is something I just can't do!
Haha I understand this too, especially if you have BI optimized and a powerful computer!

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I run a separate PC for BI as well. If you want to try and run multiple service on a single PC I'd make sure BI storage is on its own drive at the least.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I run a separate PC, only other thing it runs is team viewer and my weather station.